PDA

View Full Version : topping off with kalk

kikireef
11/24/2009, 02:46 AM
So I have a 125 gallon tank with about 30 gallons of water in my sump. I am currently having low ph problems (around 7.8). I top off about 1 1/2 gallons of water a day. If I start topping off with kalk would 1 1/2 gallons a day of kalk solution be too much for my tank? Keep in mind I use a float valve that triggers a pump so I don't top off all at once but rather small amounts throughout the day. It is mainly sps frags currently with some large soft corals. If its too much for one day could I even dilute the solution? I fill a 5 gallon container at a time and top off from that. Thanks

arrowheadpuffer
11/24/2009, 03:04 AM
I evaporate just under 2g a day with my 90g display, 20g sump, 55g fuge. The tank is mpostly softies with some LPS and SPS. The top off is all kalk dripped from an aquadose. 4tsp of kalk in the 2.5g container. I also use two part, daily, if I have the time. Alk, calcium, and ph are a little low still. So I think you should be fine.

kikireef
11/24/2009, 11:42 AM
thanks arrowheadpuffer.

Any other thoughts?

ludnix
11/24/2009, 12:03 PM
I have a nearly identical setup with kalkwasser in my top off. It's never been a problem and I still have to manually dose calcium and alk to keep it up. My pH does stay up higher (8.2 at the peak) with the kalk though so it's doing it's job.

patsfan1130
11/24/2009, 12:12 PM
I do it the exact same way. I evaporate approx 1g per day and replace via my ATO. You should be fine. As you know, adding too much at once is to be avoided but it doesnt sound like you are doing that.

Fisher72
11/24/2009, 08:50 PM
I agree with the other posts. I have a 90 gal sps dominated tank and top off about 1.5 gal/ day with kalk. Also run a calcium reactor. My pH runs about 8.0.

corigan
11/24/2009, 09:06 PM
I have a nearly identical setup with kalkwasser in my top off. It's never been a problem and I still have to manually dose calcium and alk to keep it up. My pH does stay up higher (8.2 at the peak) with the kalk though so it's doing it's job.
+1 This is what I'm having to do as well. Even with the kalk in the top-off I drop around 1 dkh of alk a day. Thinking about getting some dosing pumps to keep the alk/calc stable but might just splurge for a calc reactor.

Fisher72
11/24/2009, 09:19 PM
I found a reactor is the way to go to keep up all and calcium. Althought pH will drop.

gatorchem
11/24/2009, 09:24 PM
You should be fine. Just don't add all at once, but sounds like you know that. In my 90g I use kalk in my ATO. For my system I use 6 teaspoons to 6 gallons og RO/DI water. This last me about 4 days.

arrowheadpuffer
11/24/2009, 10:29 PM
I do it the exact same way. I evaporate approx 1g per day and replace via my ATO. You should be fine. As you know, adding too much at once is to be avoided but it doesnt sound like you are doing that.

Only 1 gallon a day? Is that in your 300g? I wonder why my tank evaporates so much more, I dont even have halides...