PDA

View Full Version : Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

SDguy
11/24/2009, 06:30 PM
Cover your tanks...ALL of them.

end of line.

Blinding Reef
11/24/2009, 06:32 PM
ok, who jumped out? Please don't say it was your beauty of a Powder blue : (

SDguy
11/24/2009, 06:35 PM
ok, who jumped out?

:(

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/imagehosting/5974ae7a2c6646e7.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p5/SDreefguy/IMG_7424_1.jpg

Luiz Rocha
11/24/2009, 06:36 PM
Oh that's a real bummer, sorry about that!

Blinding Reef
11/24/2009, 06:37 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo that was my second guess that I was hoping you wouldn't say..that's tragic..I'm so sorry for your loss Peter. She sure was something special.

SDguy
11/24/2009, 06:38 PM
Yeah, that's my ORANGE Indian Ocean Regal Angel that ate pellets and everything else I threw in the tank.

Somehow it either cleared all the eurobracing with that jump OR cleared the entire opening of the overflow to make it out of the tank.

ccampbell57
11/24/2009, 06:42 PM
DUUUUUUUUDE!!!!!

Sorry Peter! That sucks! thats why I egg crate everything...

myerst2
11/24/2009, 06:44 PM
So sorry man!!! Odd that a regal would jump. Do you think someone was giving him a hard time? Ever consider doing the eggcrate thing? I had a trio of lineatus with the craziest supermale ruling his little harem and I had a small opening in the eggcrate where I had some wires coming out from the Koralias and thought I should fix it some how. I said there is no way any fish will make it through that small space. Of course my lineatus proved me wrong. Ugg!!!!! Keep your head up. Live and learn.

SDguy
11/24/2009, 06:44 PM
I can't believe how bummed I feel. I mean, losing an anthias or fairy wrasse is one thing, but the tank centerpiece!!?? Ugh, I hate this hobby sometimes....

Tim, he was the biggest fish in the tank. The other fish didn't bother him. I took the canopy off a week ago, and just didn't get it back on yet. Yeah...live and learn.... :(

Wolverine
11/24/2009, 06:45 PM
Sorry to hear about that.

gasman059
11/24/2009, 07:43 PM
yikes Bud- first ever for me, a jumping regal!

Any new additions that might have caused it. SORRY

montipora80
11/24/2009, 07:49 PM
Ah man so sorry for your loss what a shame:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

albano
11/24/2009, 08:00 PM
go for the pond netting, with a DIY 'window' screen frame from home depot, probably less than $30 to save a $150 fish! doesn't block light like eggcrate, takes minutes to make! (well, less than 60 min.)
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=15872

SDguy
11/24/2009, 08:20 PM
I'll just keep the canopy on from now on. Honestly, with a 30" tall FO peninsula tank, I really didn't think jumping would be an issue.

wrasseguy2
11/24/2009, 08:21 PM
that sucks what a nice fish..i learned a long time ago that tanks just need to be covered..lost a couple of tangs..

Recty
11/24/2009, 09:01 PM
That sucks, sorry to hear it.

Yep, all fish are possible jumpers, I've never ran a tank without at least tight fitting glass tops on it. The LFS here lost a 8" black tang they had for 5 years to jumping in the middle of the night when no one was there and it was definitely not known for being a flighty fish. Sometimes this stuff just happens, who knows why, but a fish decides it's going to try to fly a little and it usually ends badly.

I wonder how many times the regal might have tried to jump before but you just never knew since it had the canopy on?

maddog2002
11/24/2009, 09:18 PM
Sorry for hear about that....

CarlC
11/24/2009, 09:21 PM
Sorry to see the lose Peter!!!

Carl

SDguy
11/24/2009, 09:56 PM
The LFS here lost a 8" black tang they had for 5 years to jumping in the middle of the night when no one was there and it was definitely not known for being a flighty fish.

Oh wow, that's horrible!

7thheaven
11/24/2009, 10:14 PM
I am sorry for hear about that.

I also installed the cover after my Centropyge joculator was dead.
http://www.spsholic.com/entry/Making-Tank-cover-with-mesh

jmaneyapanda
11/24/2009, 10:22 PM
Sorry, man thats sucks sasquatch....

I have ALWAYS contended that any fish will jump for any reason (with the exception of seahorses). Anyone who cares for their fish whatsoever will provide some covering. This is a HUGE reason I dont like rimless (amongst other reasons). ANYWAY- sorry for the loss.

jjk_reef00
11/24/2009, 10:27 PM
Wow, I didn't know those big fish jumped like that.
Sorry for your loss.

EllieSuz
11/24/2009, 10:39 PM
Get a window screen kit at HD and buy some of this:

http://www.watergarden.org/s.nl/it.A/id.152/.f?sc=2&category=43357

To make one of these:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/EllieSuz/Home%20Aquarium/TankCover.jpg

You'll note that I made mine in halves and I'm so glad I did. This mesh is smaller than "bird netting", through which many smaller fish can jump. I had a Diamond Goby and a juvenile Clown jump through egg crate and that was all the lesson I needed to learn about tank covers. Sorry you lost your gorgeous fish.

Sardaukar
11/24/2009, 10:49 PM
I am sorry that you lost your beautiful fish. I want to say something like 'hopefully this will be a lesson to the rest of us' but I know it won't be. I've come to realize that covering the top of your tank is rather like drunk driving. Everyone thinks that they can get away with it because of *insert reason here* but just like crashing or getting caught while driving over the legal limit, losing a fish to carpet surfing with an open top tank is a question of WHEN rather than IF. Your case is especially sad because you do normally have it covered.

duecejt
11/24/2009, 11:07 PM
That is the last fish I would expect to hear that jumped. Wrasses are one thing but a Regal Angel ........A Red Sea Regal at that!!!! Man I'm sorry to hear that news. By the way your new system looks great!

super1man
11/25/2009, 12:50 AM
sorry for the loss

HomeSlizzice
11/25/2009, 01:24 AM
WOW, I'm soooo sorry that that happened :(

ShrimpChipGal
11/25/2009, 01:36 AM
So sorry Peter. :(

SDguy
11/25/2009, 08:40 AM
Hey D, tell your hubby our next reef project is a screen top :D . I'm not going through this ever again. I should have learned my lesson from my reef tank when my huge male swallowtail ended up in the overflow :-/

Aadler
11/25/2009, 08:49 AM
Ugh makes me sick, sorry for the loss. love regals, and that was a pretty fine one. Gonna make me paranoid mine might jump migt need to screen teh tank... and a few months ago i switched to a pendant on my upstairs tank... may need to screen that tank too, wouldn't want to loose a goldflake :./.

kev apsley
11/25/2009, 08:52 AM
Ouch Peter! Really sorry to hear that!

bradleyj
11/25/2009, 11:00 AM
So sorry Peter. That guy was a beauty. I've rebuilt my screen top 4 times, and now have a clear mesh top with 1/4 inch holes. Now even the flashers will be safe.
Yes, this hobby has its ups and downs. But most of the time its up!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/tileman/225%20g%20%20reef/012-1.jpg

ShrimpChipGal
11/25/2009, 11:33 AM
Hey D, tell your hubby our next reef project is a screen top :D . I'm not going through this ever again. I should have learned my lesson from my reef tank when my huge male swallowtail ended up in the overflow :-/

Okay. The kind he makes is a bit lightweight though.

Baxter
11/25/2009, 12:24 PM
Sorry for your loss.

Chihuahua6
11/25/2009, 04:28 PM
Very sorry for your loss. I am going to learn from your horrible experience. I will use eggcrate on my new tank. Your post may just have saved some of my future fish.

I recently experienced many losses (including my Regal) due to two separate mistakes/oversights on my part. I am taking every step to avoid any type of loss in this new tank and you reminded me that fish can just jump at any time, sometimes with no apparent reason.

Again sorry for your loss but thank you for sharing.

albano
11/25/2009, 04:41 PM
eggcrate is certainly better than nothing, but besides the light that it blocks, and the fact that MH bulbs, will make it yellow, brittle, and warp...small fish (gobies) can (and will) jump thru it. the mesh cover does not have those problems, and looks better/cleaner...very inexpensive and easy to make!

My new 450g build
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/63397-hundreds-corals-fish-free.html

SDguy
02/28/2010, 10:33 AM
Unbelievable....

So, I friend of mine bought a YB regal about a week after me, from the same source. They were obviously from the same "batch" from QM. It looked just like mine, but larger. Guess what? It just jumped out of his 300g reef. It would have had to hit that jump just right to get through the gap in the back without hitting anything an plopping back in the tank. Are these fish known jumpers?

jhawkor
02/28/2010, 11:41 AM
Unbelievable....

So, I friend of mine bought a YB regal about a week after me, from the same source. They were obviously from the same "batch" from QM. It looked just like mine, but larger. Guess what? It just jumped out of his 300g reef. It would have had to hit that jump just right to get through the gap in the back without hitting anything an plopping back in the tank. Are these fish known jumpers?

This is the first I have heard of Regal's jumping. Maybe I should cover my tank just in case mine decides to go too?

Sheol
02/28/2010, 06:15 PM
Ohh MAN! I'm so sorry Peter. That is almost as bad as having EVERYTHING die, when your centerpiece, prize fish bites the dust. I'm sure I understand your pain, I'd be almost cutting my wrists at this point. It hurts worse when you know you contibuted to the accident.
I guess this proves that any fish CAN go carpet surfing. I'm keeping the lid on my tank for sure. I've had an ocellaris clown jump & I think my Sankey's Pseudochromis jumped as well. Both got through the opening for the Skimmer.
But a Regal? Man, I'm nearly as bummed out as if it had been mine.
MANY MANY condolences.

Sincerely,
Matthew

Cantonesefish
02/28/2010, 06:19 PM
Unbelievable....

Imagine how many times they must jump before they chance on that gap.

Sorry man :(

flameangel88
02/28/2010, 06:29 PM
Peter--Out of curiosity, was your (or your friend's) Regal hoovering the surface days prior to jumping out?

SDguy
02/28/2010, 07:24 PM
Peter--Out of curiosity, was your (or your friend's) Regal hoovering the surface days prior to jumping out?

Not that I know of... in fact, he was a rather shy specimen. But very "normal" acting....

Stanley-Reefer
02/28/2010, 07:35 PM
I hate jumpers.....last I had was a candy hogfish, but I have a guess it was my falco that ran it out......it was still wet but too late....

When I first set my 175 up, I had 3 tangs adn 3 pyramids in the tank. While feeding, a pyramid came wizzing by my head from teh middle door in my canopy! Threw it right back in dog hair and all:eek2:

Korrine
02/28/2010, 08:38 PM
Oh man. So sorry about your beautiful Regal. One of my dream fish. It was sure a gorgeous fish.

I'm actually considering a glass top for my upcoming 75g.

Jacob D
02/28/2010, 09:53 PM
Sorry man. Murphy's Law seems to apply more to this hobby than any other I can think of. One way to make sure the canopy is always on is make it aggravatingly difficult to remove... This works for me anyway.

albano
03/01/2010, 08:26 AM
Unbelievable....
So, I friend of mine bought a YB regal about a week after me, from the same source. They were obviously from the same "batch" from QM... Guess what? It just jumped out of his 300g reef...Are these fish known jumpers?
I don't think that you're suggesting, that those (QM) regals were a 'batch' of jumpers (or are you?)...but in fact, the risk of ANY fish jumping is ALWAYS there. Every tank should be covered, if you prefer the uncovered look...remove it, while you and/or guests are viewing! Protect the fish!
I would guess that I hear my screen covers 'bounce' (from the fish jumping) at least 2-3 times a month (4 different tanks, each 120-170g)...AND that's only the times when I'm home! I have also put screening on my overflows, to 'keep em, in the tank!'

teog
03/01/2010, 09:44 AM
What a bummer. Sorry to hear about your regal

SDguy
03/01/2010, 12:21 PM
I don't think that you're suggesting, that those (QM) regals were a 'batch' of jumpers (or are you?)...

I actually kind of was... it's just such a weird coincidence.

stunreefer
03/01/2010, 12:27 PM
...but in fact, the risk of ANY fish jumping is ALWAYS there.
Agreed.

Any and all fish potentially can jump out of the tank. While working at a LFS way back when, I had a 12"+ lionfish leap out of the tank at me while I was walking past with food. Go figure...

If they have some odd reason, get spokked, chased, whatever, they will jump. Keep a a top on, with no gaps, and that's your best bet.

Sorry for your friends loss Peter, that sucks man.

Fish Dog
03/01/2010, 12:47 PM
Sorry for your lost Dude, That was a beautiful fish!!!:(

Hopefully you will get another one that eats everything like this one did.

BrianD
03/01/2010, 08:35 PM
Peter, that is rotten. What a beautiful fish too :(

maynardjames
03/02/2010, 12:12 AM
sorry man.. had a red tailed trigger from divers den do the same thing about a month ago

michealprater
03/02/2010, 08:12 AM
I had a regal jump out of a 46 gallon QT tank before. It is very disheartening.

EllieSuz
03/02/2010, 08:43 AM
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/EllieSuz/Home%20Aquarium/TankCover.jpg

Sheol
03/02/2010, 06:06 PM
The day I get my Regal, there will be a cover on the tank!
3 jumpers? Suggest these fish are somewhat nervous & jumpy ( no pun actually intented there. Sorry).
Condolences again, Peter.

Matthew

CBehr
03/02/2010, 06:14 PM
I feel for your loss!

I lost a 4" black spot eel once through a 2" gap. These animals are amazing and somehow find a way out. Also lost a midas with egg crate and a magnificent foxface with a full canopy.

amore169
03/03/2010, 01:12 AM
Sorry to hear Peter.

LargeAngels
03/03/2010, 07:45 AM
That sucks. I cover EVERY single tank I have.

scar34face
03/03/2010, 01:43 PM
Sorry for your loss.

(I thought this thread was going to be about pirates :( )

SDguy
03/03/2010, 01:51 PM
(I thought this thread was going to be about pirates :( )

:lol:

mogley1
03/03/2010, 02:01 PM
sorry indeed, getting a regal to eat is hard enough as it is...

Sheol
03/03/2010, 06:49 PM
It always seems to be your favorite fish when something like this happens. One of the Hobby's unfortunate lows as Peter said.

Matthew

gary faulkner
03/03/2010, 06:57 PM
Sorry to hear.

My egg crate is on the floor as I type. Gonna go put it back right now!

LKGRenegade22
03/04/2010, 01:02 AM
I know the feeling. I've lost some fish to jumping but that was way back when I first started. I had not lost any to jumping since I started buying more high end fish until this past weekend. I had been waiting for almost a year to find an extremely colorful male vanautu exquisite wrasse and had him in QT. Went in Sunday morning to move him to the DT and he was on the floor. I NEVER would have thought he would fit through eggcrate but he did. The bad part is I had laid a piece of plexi glass over the eggcrate just because I did not even want to risk it, but when I fed Saturday night I forgot to slide it all the way back in place. So frustrating!!!!

jjk_reef00
03/04/2010, 02:18 AM
Sorry for your loss! I'm very worried now. I keep larger tangs, and angles, so do you think egg crate or a screen will be enough to keep them inside the tank. My concern is that they are big, heavy and jump with a lot of force so they could/would knock the screen off the top of the tank. Any thoughts?

albano
03/04/2010, 07:51 AM
I'm very worried now. I keep larger tangs, and angles, so do you think egg crate or a screen will be enough to keep them inside the tank. My concern is that they are big, heavy and jump with a lot of force so they could/would knock the screen off the top of the tank. Any thoughts?
Egg crate SHOULD keep them in, BUT, YES, they can knock it aside! My wrasses have often, 'bounced' against it! Unfortunately, egg crate does block some light, much better to go with 'bird' netting and window screen kit, from Home Depot. If necessary, you can 'clip' or weigh it (either type) down. There are a few threads on RC, about DIY screening.