PDA

View Full Version : Sure flow maxi jet 1200 mods noise

navy crf
11/24/2009, 08:37 PM
I have recently gotten a pair of sure flow mods with a pair of maxi jet 1200 powerheads for my 75 gallon tank and although I am happy with the flow, there is vibrating that occurs on and off...almost like a humming sound. I have done searches of past forums and have read about chattering and controllers/wavemakers causing propellers to spin in reverse, but not any real details about how anyone may have fixed this issue. Saw one thread about trying to adjust the impeller by removing the guard over and over again and another about sanding down the propellor blade. Anyone out there have any more details or advice to save me from my wife's comments about the noise?

gatorchem
11/24/2009, 09:42 PM
Is this a hmm noise because of it being mounted to the glass or is it coming from the prop turning. If you take it off the glass and hold it in the tank does it make the noise?

11/24/2009, 09:54 PM
I found that the large sureflow prop with the maxijet 1200 were inherently noisy. To be fair I did not give it more than 48 hours run time. I ended up going with the small prop and a maxijet 600. This combination makes no noise. Also use the the harder end caps from the maxijet shaft rather then the ones supplied with the sureflow kit. This seems to reduce vibration.

gatorchem
11/24/2009, 10:00 PM
I run the large prop mods on the maximods with no noise. I got some hmm noise when mounted on the glass. I DIYed the mount with my koralia mounts and the hmm went away.

Nerdy Nudi
11/24/2009, 11:37 PM
I have a few modded sureflow 900's. the were a bit rattly at first but really quiet down after some time. I placed one in a bucket with some live rock for a few months and recently put it in a display and it is super quiet. More so than my mp20 which is very quiet itself.

very happy with it. though they lack a controller and are bigger than comparable pumps, they are definitely keepers! a lot of flow, though concentrated, at a small price.

AquaMonkey
12/22/2009, 10:59 AM
I just bought a couple of sure flow mods; one for a 600 one for a 1200. They had a slight humm when I first started them up, and I was going to give them a week to quit down.
Well the 1200 started to get annoyingly loud and I was going to try and put the original end caps on it like 2006 suggested, but first I switched out the suregrip magnet I had on it.
I was using the suregrip 50 on the 1200 and the suregrip 100 on the 600, (*becuase I was going to put two maxijet mods on the other end of the tank on one suregrip*)
after I swapped out the magnets the noirse went back down to the quiet humm it had before.
Going to see how it goes, and if it does start to make the louder noise again I'll try the other end caps.