PDA

View Full Version : New set-up equip questions

Chiefsurfer
11/25/2009, 08:56 AM
I just know by people's constantly different opinions, I will get a lot of answers.

Setting up a 20 gallon tank, with no refugium or sump.

I want to use a HOT skimmer.

Other than that don't really have any ideas on what I need to get.

What would you reccomend for equpment. I would like to stay under $1k for everything, so cost is somewhat important, but not needing a REAL budget system.

What are your reccomendations for lighting? Do I need to go MH, or save a few hundred to put into something else more important?

What are your reccomendations for a skimmer? I thought the Remora Pro was one of the best, but you guys seem to disagree, so what is better?

I was going to use a mechanical filter I already have to help settle out particulate in the beginning, and make a MINI refugium out of after that initial phase. This a good idea?

Thanks guys, all your help is much appreciated.

Chiefsurfer
11/25/2009, 09:15 AM
PS, what RO/DI unit do you reccomend. Trying to go as cheap as possible on the RO system, don't need too much water per day, however, want a decent quality one.

fishoutawater
11/25/2009, 10:25 AM
have you looked through the builds in the nano forum yet? They have a lot of great ideas for small tanks. With a $1000 budget, why limit yourself to a 20gal sumpless?