PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here do a refugium in the first chamber of a BC29?

waverz
11/25/2009, 07:02 PM
I am considering running a refugium in the first chamber of my BC29 and was wondering of it would even be worth it. The reason I need to have it int he first chamber is well, there is no more room for ti anywhere else. The second chamber holds the Sapphire Aquatics dual recirc skimmer and the 3rd chamber is jam packed with the return pump, the chiller feed pump, the Sapphire Aquatics nano reactor, and a ATO dual float switch. Talk about jam packed.

The reason I am thinking about doing a refugium is I would like to get a decent pod population going to eventually have a Mandarin Goby. Another reason is I have a pretty good bioload and think it would help control the minor algae problem I am having.

Here is a pic of the tank:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/waverz/FTS-2.jpg

For livestock I have:

Fish

Small Yellow Tang (temp)
Yellow Watchman
Yellow Nose Gobie
Purple Firefish
Red Firefish
Midas Blenny
6 Line Wrasse
Pencil Urchin

Coral
Rings of Saturn Acans
Highlighter Acans
Rainbow Acans
Big Red Acans
Green/Orange Acans
Dendros
Duncans
Watermelon Chalice
Purple WM Chalice
Mummy Eye Chalice
Red Lava Chalice
Hawkins Blue Echinata
ORA Blue Tort
Purple Monster
GARF Bonsai
Green Torch
Green Hammer
Sunrise Tequila Blasta
Green/Orange Fungia
Red Yuma
War Coral
Tyree War Coral
5 different color FL Ricordia

Maxima Clam

I think thats it....

waverz
11/25/2009, 07:32 PM
Decided I am gonna give it a shot. I just ordered a couple 5watt submersible halogens to put in the first chamber, once they get here I'll throw in a handful of cheato and see how it does. I can't hurt to try.

kcreefer86
11/25/2009, 10:25 PM
i'v always wanted to do this..i tried one time with a underwater led light...didn't see to grow..i wasn't sure it was light or lack of space...are you making a basket to hold the cheato...if you don't..your cheato will float to your return pump...that's the problem i had..

waverz
11/25/2009, 10:36 PM
i'v always wanted to do this..i tried one time with a underwater led light...didn't see to grow..i wasn't sure it was light or lack of space...are you making a basket to hold the cheato...if you don't..your cheato will float to your return pump...that's the problem i had..

I was actually just thinking about that. An eggcrate basket would work pretty well to keep it somewhat contained.

kcreefer86
11/25/2009, 11:00 PM
an eggcrate is actually what i used too...imo it was still too big that I had to clean my return pump every so often..because it would clog and slow down my pump..

waverz
11/26/2009, 09:30 AM
Hmmm, yeah sometimes little bits to break off. Maybe egg crate along with some of that plastic mesh stuff you can get at the hobby store would be more ideal. I dunno, it might be a trial and error kinda thing.