PDA

View Full Version : New Tank!! What can I do with it?

sprinterpd
11/25/2009, 08:18 PM
I have been given a 55gal TruVU tank that has a built-in overflow and filter. I'm curious if this is anywhere big enough for a mixed reef setup. The other option is to build a sump, but then I'm not sure where I would drill in the holes. If pictures are helpful, I can post.

Thanks,

Michael

IDSkoT
11/25/2009, 09:32 PM
Take some pictures, maybe. That might help.

sprinterpd
11/26/2009, 01:48 AM
http://www.truvuaquariums.com/maa00055l.html
This is the one I got.
1) what are they primarily good for keeping (fish only? Planted tank? Fresh community? Softies in a mixed tank?)
2) if I want to go to a full sump reef setup, would I drill holes in the bottom of the over-flow intake in the back?

Thanks,

Michael

jmski333
11/26/2009, 06:50 AM
wow that is a sweet tank, my one friend had a mixed reef tank in a 55. it seemed pretty nice

Aqua Keepers
11/26/2009, 08:07 AM
I would remove the crap inside of that rear chamber, Drill the rear chamber for plumbing to a sump, and do a nice mixed reef.

sprinterpd
11/26/2009, 09:17 AM
I would remove the crap inside of that rear chamber, Drill the rear chamber for plumbing to a sump, and do a nice mixed reef.

Exactly what I thought and actually is my plan.

What is it designed for though? If I did a planted tank, it is like having an integrated HOB with room to hide the CO2 system and heater. Or is this designed for a fish-only fresh/salt setup?

Thanks,

Michael

floridazooguy
11/26/2009, 09:56 AM
You could make it what ever kind of tank you want.

Aqua Keepers
11/26/2009, 01:40 PM
Exactly what I thought and actually is my plan.

What is it designed for though? If I did a planted tank, it is like having an integrated HOB with room to hide the CO2 system and heater. Or is this designed for a fish-only fresh/salt setup?

Thanks,

Michael

According to the link you provided, that rear chamber is a Wet/dry chamber, drip tray, mechanical pre-filter. These methods of filtration were once thought of as the best way to keep anything salty, but times have changed. Your best bet is to do as I mentioned above and add a sump. This way you are using that rear chamber as an overflow. you can then keep your skimmer, heaters, etc. in the sump. This is my opinion.

sprinterpd
11/26/2009, 07:40 PM
Just drill out 2 holes in the bottom of the overflow, one for out, and one back in?
I'll start my sump research but could use some advise on where the holes go, since I'm building the stand from scratch.

Michael

tkeracer619
11/26/2009, 08:39 PM
I do not think a 55g is large enough for a mixed reef. Stick with one type of coral and it will grow much faster and mature sooner plus be easier to maintain.

Once a 55g gets packed with coral chemical warfare can take its tole.

kynsee
11/27/2009, 02:30 AM
Do whatever. Sell it, trade it or do something cool with it.