PDA

View Full Version : Should i use a micron sock or not

boxer385
11/25/2009, 09:40 PM
my protein skimmer and the micron sock has to sit in the same chamber can i get away with not using the sock and let the skimmer do the rest?

FranktheTankTx
11/25/2009, 10:36 PM
Nothing wrong with a sock & skimmer in the same section. I wouldn't run a sump with out a filter sock, IMO. I just like clean water & clean equipment. The sock keeps a ton of gunk out of my sump. Makes it easy to siphon out the rest during water changes.

I'd buy 3 or 4 & change them out every 3-5 days.

boxer385
11/26/2009, 08:02 AM
Nothing wrong with a sock & skimmer in the same section. I wouldn't run a sump with out a filter sock, IMO. I just like clean water & clean equipment. The sock keeps a ton of gunk out of my sump. Makes it easy to siphon out the rest during water changes.

I'd buy 3 or 4 & change them out every 3-5 days.

That's what i will do thanks

extremeshocks
11/26/2009, 08:08 AM
I was never big on filter socks my lfs owner gave me one to prove a point that they were great and boy was he right. I now own 5 of them and rotate them out every few days. They not only clean the water but say good bye to micro bubbles.

FranktheTankTx
11/26/2009, 09:41 AM
Let me share my cleaning tactics once I remove the dirty sock. I soak them in a sink full of water & few splashes of bleach. Then hand wash them for a couple minutes & rinse, rinse, & rinse them under cold water. I then pour a gallon or so of fresh RO water on them to rinse out the tap water. Hang & dry. Total time takes 5 minutes to clean 'em up for next use.