PDA

View Full Version : this might have been done already but...

jmski333
11/25/2009, 11:09 PM
I thought i would share with you how i made my night vision flashlight tool thing.

I've always known that red light doesn't effect the night vision of animals and humans.

so i was going to buy a red LED flashlight offline or something and they were all like 30 bucks.

I than got the idea to just use an old flashlight and paint the lens of it red, and that is exactly what i did. I got a little mag light that i had laying around and i painted the lens of it Red with Red nail polish. that way if i decide i dont want it red anymore and cant take it off with nail polish remover with no problem.

The little flashlight works great for looking at my tank at night to see what kind of critters i have living in my LR

uncleof6
11/26/2009, 12:00 AM
I thought i would share with you how i made my night vision flashlight tool thing.

I've always known that red light doesn't effect the night vision of animals and humans.

so i was going to buy a red LED flashlight offline or something and they were all like 30 bucks.

I than got the idea to just use an old flashlight and paint the lens of it red, and that is exactly what i did. I got a little mag light that i had laying around and i painted the lens of it Red with Red nail polish. that way if i decide i dont want it red anymore and cant take it off with nail polish remover with no problem.

The little flashlight works great for looking at my tank at night to see what kind of critters i have living in my LR

Add some moonlights and you won't need to use the flashlight anymore.

Jim

jmski333
11/26/2009, 06:45 AM
haha yeah i know, i haven't got the lighting system yet, so this is my alternative. Tank is only a month and a half old

fishbait2
11/26/2009, 08:58 AM
If he had just bought moonlights this probably wouldnt be in the DIY secction. You can also get the red translucent plastic (like you use on old school style projectors) and cut a disc the size of your lens and stack them.

floridazooguy
11/26/2009, 11:20 AM
I used plastic but nail polish that is thinking out side the box I like it.

Moebuis
11/26/2009, 11:29 AM
I use the IR night vision function on my video camera. Works great.

For the flashlight idea, look around a military surplus store for a military flashlight. They should have lense filters in the base (Red, Blue, White, and a diffusion lense). They shouldn't be $30.

sirfisher
11/26/2009, 12:42 PM
I use cellophane clear wrap, they come in different colors, I cut out a piece big enough and put it in front of a flash light, I use a rubber band to hold in place.

Indymann99
11/27/2009, 12:33 PM
I have a cheep LED flashlight (Brinkman from Wallie World), I just used a red Sharpie pen and colored the lens. Works great and even though I have moon lights many times I want to look in the caves and areas where the moon lights just dont illuminate.

my 0.02

jamesdong009
11/27/2009, 01:23 PM
I use cellophane clear wrap, they come in different colors, I cut out a piece big enough and put it in front of a flash light, I use a rubber band to hold in place.

These are easier to find now with Chrismas around the corner.

Daemonfly
11/27/2009, 02:57 PM
I took a mini-mag lite, removed the stock bulb and just inserted a miniature red LED. Leads needed trimmed slightly, but bulb end fit perfectly.

Edit: There is a polarity...