PDA

View Full Version : Still need to add substrate and replace powerheads...suggestions?

dg3147
11/26/2009, 03:15 PM
My tank is a new build:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1740381
and I am looking to replace my current powerheads (550 gph each I think) that are mounted on the back of the tank at the bottom with sleeker, magnetic power heads. Given my tank dimensions, what should I use? Money is not the issue here (I am already so deep, really ...what's another few hundred? :spin1:)

btw, I like the look of the magnetic ones that have low profiles and really want low noise as well.

Also, regarding my substrate to be.... I have 80 lbs of Nature's Ocean Aragonite 0.5-1.7mm particle reef sand (bio active....yes, I know --but I was hoping that the extra weight of the bioactive would create less sand storm....and once again, really what's another few dollars, right? :spin1:) I will be keeping a Dimond Goby to keep the sand clean and turned. Before I commit to adding this to the tank, these are my concerns:
Though it's argonite character is appealing ("they" say it adds some minimal trace elements to the water), I think I like sand particle that are all less than 1mm, but have concerns of major and constant bare sand spots and burried corals. I also think I like a slightly lighter color than the aragonite. More white than brown in color seems nicer.

Opinions?