PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of unhealthy Clams?

E.intheC
11/26/2009, 05:09 PM
I know this sounds like an odd topic starter, but I'm curious to see what truly unhealthy clams look like.

I've only had one and it was doing well for a while until it up and vanished. (Shell was there). I'm sure I was missing some signs (or many signs) but was not able to catch it before the clam passed away..

In my current tank there's a perfect spot for a clam, and I want to research the heck out of clams before I add one.

Thanks! :twitch:

a4twenty
11/27/2009, 06:32 AM
what it looks like and how it acts will greatly depend on what is troubling the clam. lack of nice white growth along the upper margin of the shell is a good indication the clam has been in trouble for some time but wont tell why.

E.intheC
11/27/2009, 07:02 AM
That's a good point. Will be tough to tell when you're looking to buy a new one though.

moliken
11/27/2009, 07:09 AM
generally, take that word as meaning in most cases, if the clam reacts well to shadows [retracts the mantle quickly, but not entirely] and then puts the mantle back out fully fairly soon after the shadow passes, it's healthy.

fishbait2
11/27/2009, 08:50 AM
I often have wondered the same thing. My crocea doesnt really tell me when hes sick. The shadow thing helps, though cause thats what he does. Thanks, Moliken, any other signs?

My clam looks like it has chapped lips (for lack of a better description) when viewed through the front glass. Is this normal?

E.intheC
11/27/2009, 11:50 AM
What If the coloration is a bit 'off' ? For example, a blue crocea that's a bit brownish? Sounds like bleaching of some sort.

moliken
11/27/2009, 01:17 PM
croceas are so differently colored that only a pic would help. bleaching, though, would be a whitening, as in the upper crocea here
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/shusuiutsuri/CLAMS/DSCN4373.jpg

E.intheC
11/27/2009, 02:46 PM
I know that typically the bleaching is a whitening but I've read it can also be a darker color. It didn't make 100% sense at the time, but I trusted the article.