PDA

View Full Version : Well, I made my own fish food...

Eel Freak
11/27/2009, 11:16 AM
I finally got around to trying my hand at making my own fish food. I have been feeding a seafood mix to my predatory fish and they have been doing absolutely amazing as far as health, coloration, etc. Even my Sailfin Tang's HLLE has been steadily going away! But the chunks they get are meant for humans to cook in stir fry, so naturally, my chromis nor clowns could eat them easily. So, last night I took the following ingredients and put them in a food processor for a while.

Cuttlefish
Shrimp
Clams or Mussels (I can't tell the difference)
Squid
Octopus
1 Garlic Clove
a few strips of Nori
4-5mL of Selcon
2 cap-fulls of VitaChem
and a 1/2 cup or so of RO/DI water

I put all the above in at once and ground away until the mixture was very fine and all the large chunks were reduced to pieces the same size as or smaller than the "small pellet" version of Formula 2.

After I got it to that size, I put the concoction in a Ziploc and into the freezer. I just broke off a piece and dropped it in my reef, and a larger piece in my predator system. All fish ate with gusto and even my Palys took the food!

Comments/suggestions are welcome! I forgot to take pictures of the process so when I get a chance I'll take a picture of the bag...

Scott-CapeCoral
11/27/2009, 11:37 AM
Good work,
I've made a nice batch about 6 months ago. I think I made way to much because I see no dent in my freezer stash at all. I had basically the same recipe. I think the only thing I did differant was I added brine shrimp, cyclops, rotifers, and phytoplankton so it was a coral feeder aswell. I'll never buy a premade food again. I spent about 25 bucks on what went into the recipe. It will last me about another 2 years though.

Eel Freak
11/27/2009, 11:41 AM
Good work,
I've made a nice batch about 6 months ago. I think I made way to much because I see no dent in my freezer stash at all. I had basically the same recipe. I think the only thing I did differant was I added brine shrimp, cyclops, rotifers, and phytoplankton so it was a coral feeder aswell. I'll never buy a premade food again. I spent about 25 bucks on what went into the recipe. It will last me about another 2 years though.

Thanks!

Awesome! I guess I did something right! I'm probably going to make another batch since this one isn't too large... This time I'll probably throw in a good portion of Rod's Reef. I've been using it for quite a while and have had excellent results so we shall see...

What did you put your mixture into?

I too will never buy it again unless I need some to add as supplement in my own mix...

Scott-CapeCoral
11/27/2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks!

Awesome! I guess I did something right! I'm probably going to make another batch since this one isn't too large... This time I'll probably throw in a good portion of Rod's Reef. I've been using it for quite a while and have had excellent results so we shall see...

What did you put your mixture into?

I too will never buy it again unless I need some to add as supplement in my own mix...

I put the finished mixture into freezer quart bags, frozen while laying flat so it freezes about 1/3 inch thick (easy to break off pieces). However, I think i'm going to make my own cube tray out of eggcrate next time. So that I have individual small cubes. (I'm never satified, I always try to do something better :/) even though just 'breaking' a piece off is simple enough lol.

Eel Freak
11/27/2009, 12:00 PM
I put the finished mixture into freezer quart bags, frozen while laying flat so it freezes about 1/3 inch thick (easy to break off pieces). However, I think i'm going to make my own cube tray out of eggcrate next time. So that I have individual small cubes. (I'm never satified, I always try to do something better :/) even though just 'breaking' a piece off is simple enough lol.

Ok, that's what I did.

Haha I'm the same way... Hmmm... I like that idea! I may have to try that!

tufacody
11/27/2009, 12:29 PM
I prefer to make 30-day batches at most, otherwise it gets freezer burned. I have tried the eggcrate, and it does work. However covering it to prevent the top and bottom from getting freezer burn is very difficult.

mnchartier
11/27/2009, 12:43 PM
I found some very small ice cube trays that I freeze mine in then dump them in a freezer bag with a very small amount of cornstarch to help keep it seperated.

Scott-CapeCoral
11/27/2009, 12:46 PM
I prefer to make 30-day batches at most, otherwise it gets freezer burned. I have tried the eggcrate, and it does work. However covering it to prevent the top and bottom from getting freezer burn is very difficult.

Was going to break the cubes from the eggcrate and then bag them.

Eel Freak
11/28/2009, 07:08 PM
Ya, the only issue is keeping it from sticking. How well does the cornstarch work?

mnchartier
11/30/2009, 07:58 AM
Ya, the only issue is keeping it from sticking. How well does the cornstarch work?

The cornstarch keeps it from sticking together and have been using it for a few month and have had no issues. I do rinse in tank water and then strain the food before placing in the tank.

tank o tang
11/30/2009, 10:01 AM
Use the vacuum seal ziplock freezer bags.

LeslieP
11/30/2009, 10:43 AM
I usually drop little blobs onto a cookie sheet and then freeze it. Once frozen, I scoop the blobs from the cookie sheet into a ziplock freezer bag. Each batch lasts for months. And freezer burn won't hurt the food any so I wouldn't worry about it.