PDA

View Full Version : Worlds Largest Aquarium

saltyj
11/27/2009, 07:24 PM
Has everyone seen this yet. If not, put on your headphones and sit in the dark and watch this and tell me you are not relaxed afterwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7deClndzQw

Shot in Okinawa Japan
Theres also a 9:55min one on you tube but I gave you the short one

saltyj
11/27/2009, 07:32 PM
Ok now I see that it is the second largest aquarium. Sorry it's still a goody

myerst2
11/27/2009, 07:58 PM
Whale sharks in captivity?? Not a fan

meatball87
11/27/2009, 08:11 PM
looks sweet

Blownsvt
11/27/2009, 08:34 PM
how big is the aquarium?

honestly i am not a fan of that at all. Its like trhowing a bunch of animals into a giant swimming pool. there is no natural habbitat or anything in there for them at all.

small alien
11/27/2009, 11:51 PM
+1. Even though it's entirely amazing, it looks more about satisfying the desires of the human ego than providing an environment for living creatures.

Reef_Man
11/28/2009, 12:10 AM
Amazing. That acrylic must be three feet thick, the pumps as big as hoover damn turbines, and the phosban reactor as big as a silo!:spin1:

Mmckibben
11/28/2009, 12:11 AM
I don't like it; most of the species in there are ocean migrants. They travel thousands of miles all the time, but in there they can only travel an area about the size of a tennis ball court.

saltyguy51
11/28/2009, 12:37 AM

If their system can handle one, have at it and let us all enjoy. No difference that our little home aquariums.

sunfishh
11/28/2009, 01:51 AM
To the critics think of all the good that tank is doing. By inspiring future generations those migratory species have a better chance of being protected in the wild. I know when I saw the whale sharks at the Georgia Aquarium I was blown away. I have a degree in biology and knew a lot of facts about whale sharks before my visit. None of that information prepared me for the true beauty of these animals. Now imagine if I was 5. It would have been something I would have remembered the rest of my life.

mak3mydae
11/28/2009, 02:14 AM
I drowned just watching the video. I think i have drowning-phobia... but not aquaphobia.

laf-reef
11/28/2009, 07:10 AM
To the critics think of all the good that tank is doing. By inspiring future generations those migratory species have a better chance of being protected in the wild. I know when I saw the whale sharks at the Georgia Aquarium I was blown away. I have a degree in biology and knew a lot of facts about whale sharks before my visit. None of that information prepared me for the true beauty of these animals. Now imagine if I was 5. It would have been something I would have remembered the rest of my life.

Well put Sunfishh. The younger of my 2 sons has always been fascinated with sharks and particulary whale sharks. When Discovery channel has it's annual Shark Week he is glued to the TV. Back in 2007 (he was 7 at the time) we drove from NY to Florida for a 7 day stay at Disneyland. My wife and I gave our sons (7 year old whale shark fanatic and 10 year old) the option of cutting our stay at Disney a day short and spending it at the Georgia Aqaurium. The Georgia Aquarium was awesome! I can assure you that the whale sharks were a HUGE part of the boys' desire to visit.

benzrider85
11/28/2009, 07:25 AM
Pretty neat. Anyone have details on this aquarium?

saltyj
11/28/2009, 08:22 AM
wow, so many critics. I think it's awesome and as long as they are healthy hows it any different than us keeping a home aquarium

saltyguy51
11/28/2009, 09:48 AM
wow, so many critics. I think it's awesome and as long as they are healthy hows it any different than us keeping a home aquarium

It's not different, put a 6" fish in a 6' aquarium and they have less room to swim and by the way that aquarium is ALOT BIGGER than any tennis court, more like a football stadium. I dont know why people on here are in this hobby when they make statments like they did, they really need to get another hobby.

myerst2
11/28/2009, 10:46 AM
Many of the fish we keep in our displays will live in a very small area on the reef. Whereas a whale shark will travel the world. I am all about learning, but there are reasons we can't successfully keep a great white in captivity. They know of a world with no boundries. Whereas reef fish have a boundry of the actuall reef.

fishbait2
11/28/2009, 11:42 AM
http://www.kaiyouhaku.com/en/

fishbait2
11/28/2009, 11:45 AM
Built Area approx.10,000m²
Total Area approx.19,000m²
Building Structure Reinforced-concrete, 4-stories high
Aquaria Size Total water quantity 10,000m³
The Largest Tank Kuroshio Sea 7,500m³
Total Number of Tanks 77 tanks
Water System Seawater is taken from 350m off shore, at a depth of 20m.
Maximum Water Intake Rate 3,000m³/ h
Water Intake Method Intake Pipe
Diameter of Intake Pipe 1.8m
Power Supply The Aquarium complex generates its own power( 2000kW) and also uses commercially available electricity( 500 kW ).
Filtration System Closed high-pressure filtration system
Intake Water Filters 3.2m in diameter x 8 units
Filter Material Polyester fiber
Circulating Water Filters 2.8m - 3m in diameter x 62 units
Filter Material Silicate sand

MrTuskfish
11/28/2009, 12:00 PM
We can put fish in our Living room; but trained biologists can't keep big fish in big tanks for the education & enjoyment of the public? Sorry, I don't buy it. A fish has a pea-sized brain (a whale shark's is even smaller) as long as they are healthy and well-fed; they are as "happy" (I hate to use this word with fish) as they are going to get.

Mmckibben
11/28/2009, 09:26 PM
I disagree; if we were the size of a 3 inch fish our brain would be about the size of a pea to. There are studies that have show that some dinosaurs had brains sizes in size, but they still were rather clever. A great example would be a raptor. Over all a small brain doesn't mean a dumb animal. Second, many species are jumpers, and even die in tanks to small for them. I don't think that's a random "brain less" action. You can't say that just because it has a small brain, it likes a small space.

Mmckibben
11/28/2009, 09:28 PM
To sunfishh:

What school did you go to for your degree? I've been looking at James Cook, I heard that one is okay.

Mmckibben
11/28/2009, 09:35 PM
I forgot to mention this in my other reply.

Many of the species we keep stay within an are about the size of a foot ball field, some even smaller. That doesn't mean all are fish are okay to keep. Species like the Banggia Cardnal fish I think we should only buy farmed, or not at all. I t really isn't that hard to have an amazing setup that is eco-friendly. MAC is a good example of this.

Mmckibben
11/29/2009, 12:44 AM
I hope I didn't offend any one, I just think in a hobby like this the animals come first. Sorry about some of the typos.

Recty
11/29/2009, 02:55 AM
Second, many species are jumpers, and even die in tanks to small for them.

Hmmm wow, I was just picturing how crappy it would be to come look at your tank and see the whale shark had jumped and was laying on the floor dried up.

Jerky for everyone for months!

MrTuskfish
11/29/2009, 11:18 AM
I hope I didn't offend any one, I just think in a hobby like this the animals come first. Sorry about some of the typos.
A lot of folks feel this way and I sure have no problem with that. For me, MY enjoyment of the animals comes first. But, if they're not healthy, I can't enjoy them. If the animals came first, I'd leave them in the ocean. (Although I think most do as well, or better, in a well-maintained tank.)

AMD30
11/29/2009, 08:05 PM
the animals arent healthy. the georgia aquarium had 3 of their juvenile whale sharks die in the past 2 years!! i'm pretty sure a young dying shark isnt a "happy" one. these large animals as well as marine mammals (orcas, dolphins, belugas etc) belong in the ocean only and not in a small, however large it is, aquarium.

slapshot
11/29/2009, 08:46 PM
how big is the aquarium?

honestly i am not a fan of that at all. Its like trhowing a bunch of animals into a giant swimming pool. there is no natural habbitat or anything in there for them at all.

To be fair, that is pretty close to their habitat. They don't swim the reefs they are open ocean dwellers. Nothing but blue. Having said that, the difference between what we keep and those is they wander thousands of miles. I applaud the detail and science to make it work but I don't know about those whale sharks and the giant mantas. Some things are better left in the ocean. The conservation point can be made with out them.

teesquare
11/29/2009, 09:26 PM
Folks we are talking about the legitamacy of public aquaria......
The continuing research done while keeping animals goes directly to us all understanding what their needs are, and what may be happening to them in the wild.

Having been to the Georgia Aquarium several times, and having been behind the scenes I can assure yo that the TEAMS of veterinarians, and multiple labs clearly rival anything in any major zoo, and most research hospitals - for humans.

Again - yes, it is bad to lose an animal, no question. Do you think they have a bright, long future in the oceans of a planet which has a highly compromised envirement?
Can we study them adequately in their native envirement? No - not on the same level as capitivity offers. What other possibility exist if we are trying to save some of any given species?
There have been numerous articles in print that offer a dark and dismal view of the future for our oceans, and all life that dwells therein. And we are talking about the next 50 to 100 years, not the distant future. So, do we take the moral posture to condem the attempt to keep some of the more magnificent creatures in hopes of learning enough to SAVE some of them? I hope not..........
If you choose the strictest interpretation of what is appropriate to keep in an aquarium, based on size, whether or not they migrate, or whatever perameter you choose....You will lose such an arguement with YOURSELF - if you are honest.
That is - as aquarists, we all make major compromises to in order to keep what we like and enjoy or feel a reward from. No tank short of a few thousand gallons should be considered as a replcement of the natural envirement for even a pair of damsels. And that small - only with water changes of perhaps 50% on a daily basis. (Because reef fish never encounter the same water twice due to laminar flow that is not repeated as is necessary in a closed system/aquarium)
So - you see the arguement is is one of all or nothing. If you really feel so strongly that any given species should not be kept in captivity - pull the plug on your own tank. Quit being hypocritical.
But if you can perhaps be more open minded, and understand that the GA aquarium - like many others is on the cuttung edge of technology, and even that is not 100% sucessful 100% of the time ( uh...does that sound like even the best among us hobbyists??) then there is hope that you can add to the knowledge base on a level different from - but just as important as major display/research aquariums.
How is this as a concept: Less judgementalism, and more inquiry as to "why" any given animal is being kept, and what research is being done - in an effort to help save them.
Direct your questions to people like Bruce Carlson at the GA aquarium.
And - make the effort to go and see it. You may be surprised what the hobby -( that is all of us keeping animals in too small an envirement, and often killing them with our ignorance-) has brought to the science and study of much of the reef life in the sea.

Look around this site - among the population of hobbyists, there is a good number of professional aquarists, medical researchers, biologists, and many holding doctorates in disciplines very connected to our little "hobby"......Humbling? Yeah - but it should encourage you to learn, and share.
Because that is exactly what institutions like the Georgia Aquarium are doing every day.
T

AquaKnight
11/30/2009, 02:28 AM
Correct Okinawa Aquarium is the 2nd largest aquarium at 1.9 million gallons. Georgia Aquarium's big tank is the largest at 6.3 million.

I got to visit Georgia Aquarium a bit over a month ago. As far as 'proper to house whale sharks' or not, you really have to go to the aquarium and see it in person. Sure whale sharks swim the open ocean. Do they do it at a really fast clip? Nope. Nor can anyone really get a sense of scale from video clips. The tanks are sizes of large warehouses. The whale sharks look completely at home in the videos. I've seen Vlamingii's in 240gal tanks that are worse off....

Relaxing is an understatement. I could sit there for hours and watch all the fish swim by. Here's one of my vids during feeding time, which unfortunately is always packed with people.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm135/tsick72/th_S4300211.jpg (http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm135/tsick72/?action=view&current=S4300211.flv)

And some pics;

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/7756/s4300170.jpg

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/8391/s4300172.jpg

AquaKnight
11/30/2009, 02:54 AM
the animals arent healthy. the georgia aquarium had 3 of their juvenile whale sharks die in the past 2 years!! i'm pretty sure a young dying shark isnt a "happy" one. these large animals as well as marine mammals (orcas, dolphins, belugas etc) belong in the ocean only and not in a small, however large it is, aquarium.
No they haven't. They have only lost 2 whale sharks, both in 2007, both of which died from peritonitis, resulting from a chemical used for treatment. Additionally, neither shark which died, Ralph or Norton, were juvi's. I can't find sizes at their deaths, but did find that they were at least 20ft and 18ft respectfully. Both put on several feet in length from when they first arrived at the aquarium. Sounds like a healthy fish to me http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7631/shrugn.gif

Georgia Aquarium has lost 3 Beluga whales. However, two were rescues from an amusement park in Mexico city. One was so bad, they euthanized it immediately. They recently just lost the 2nd, however it was in the care of SeaWorld it the time, but probably due from it's previous issues. They did lose another a few years ago, but it's thought to die from natural causes as she was over 30 years old.

Really due some research before a post like that...:rolleye1: :rolleye1:

MrTuskfish
11/30/2009, 09:07 AM

I'd re-check this; I believe it is incorrect. Fish die in the oceans too.

Jared J
11/30/2009, 09:21 AM
Georgia Aquarium also built that tank with the donations from the owner of Home Depot so they can study and further understand the whale sharks. The death of those sharks was not GA's' fault. They were captured in Taiwan and there were transport issues as well and the sharks were not in great shape to begin with.

Really....don't bash something unless you really know what went on.

lostintheocean
11/30/2009, 09:47 AM
i know the wale sharks at the geogia aquarium were bough from fishing fleets, they were be dead if they were not in the tank so.... I did not watch the video though so i cna not comment on the japan tank, georgia tnak is pretty sweet, maybe one less whale would do it well, the manta rays were amazing as well

lostintheocean
11/30/2009, 09:49 AM
off topic but hte lump head wrasse in georgia ocean tank was awsome as well

small alien
11/30/2009, 10:16 AM
This should be a species by species debate regarding whether the animals in question should be "kept". You can't just make sweeping generalizations like, "We keep fish so it's okay."

People used to keep many land animals in small barren cages in zoos and think it was fine. But the animals paced and wasted and it obviously wasn't fine.

Careful, honest observation will tell whether it's fine to keep whale sharks in this manner. People have always had to push the envelope to develop new things and sometimes, there are losses "in the name of science". I think there should be some room for that so long as we give our utmost to the endeavor.

anbosu
11/30/2009, 11:05 AM
off topic but hte lump head wrasse in georgia ocean tank was awsome as well

If some of those fish can achieve full size that tank is going to be absolutely spectacular in about 5 years. Can you imagine seeing one of those things swimming around in there at 7 feet long?

MrTuskfish
11/30/2009, 12:04 PM
If the GA Aquarium wasn't treating animals humanely and according to the Geneva Convention; there would be constant pickets & demonstrations from PETA, The Sierra Club, World Wildlife Fund, The Humane society of the U.S., Friends of Animals, and Eric Holder.

Beaun
11/30/2009, 01:15 PM
The Japan whale sharks have been in captivity the longest out of any other aquarium if I remember correctly and they are hoping that they will be able to breed them in the near future...sounds like a healthy environment to me. On another note, how big and/or how many skimmers do they have to run that thing?

Jared J
11/30/2009, 03:18 PM
The Japan whale sharks have been in captivity the longest out of any other aquarium if I remember correctly and they are hoping that they will be able to breed them in the near future...sounds like a healthy environment to me. On another note, how big and/or how many skimmers do they have to run that thing?

LOL, you havent seen their skimmers? The GA uses 78 skimmers. You can check out the equipment info here:

http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/newsroom/presskitfiles/life_support_systems.pdf

small alien
11/30/2009, 03:25 PM
If the GA Aquarium wasn't treating animals humanely and according to the Geneva Convention; there would be constant pickets & demonstrations from PETA, The Sierra Club, World Wildlife Fund, The Humane society of the U.S., Friends of Animals, and Eric Holder.

Don't look now but your politics are showing.

MrTuskfish
11/30/2009, 04:00 PM
Don't look now but your politics are showing.

I guess so; but 75% of this thread is political.

Jared J
11/30/2009, 06:38 PM
Here's one of the GA's 78 skimmers:
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/georgia-aquarium-16.jpg

and the pump that drives it:
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/georgia-aquarium-10.jpg

and their water testing center:
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/georgia-aquarium-19.jpg

mattsilvester
12/01/2009, 08:19 AM
To the critics think of all the good that tank is doing. By inspiring future generations those migratory species have a better chance of being protected in the wild......

Whilst at an indiviual specimen by specimen case, I disagree with putting things like sharks in aquariums, generally, I think the above point is a very good one, and is a beliefe I have held for a long time. In one respect, what right do we have to put animals like dolphins, killer whales, whale sharks, or any wild animal for that matter in captivity? In principle we have none. But if the 'less than ideal' practice of a few specimens in public aquariums can educate and inspire people to take better care of the world, then it is a necessary sacrifice in my opinion - so long as the conditions under shich they are kept is not down right cruel. The fish in the example aquairum all appear to be healthy etc.

Another point that western people do not tend to think about so much is that there are coultess millions of people that have little to no education or comprehension of environmental issues - when they pollute rivers and decimate wild habitats, they have no real comprehension of what they are actually doing...... now I know that the type of people visiting that aquarium are hardly the 3rd world uneducated types, but many will see this on TV and that sort of thing, and to simple minds such things are inspirational. Now its a reality that when face with savings the whales or feeding your kids, the whales are very low on the priority list........ but you get the idea......

AdamTang
12/01/2009, 02:16 PM
All Georgia Aquarium exhibits are closed systems in
which the water is filtered, treated as required and returned to the exhibit.

interesting!

lunker
12/01/2009, 08:39 PM
unbelievable that someone can set up and maintain a 20,000 gallon tank, and people cry and criticize. Im quite sure these aren't some backwards retards taking care of this system. Leave the crying to your 2 year old!!

Jared J
12/01/2009, 08:41 PM
We have the Virginia Aquarium here in VA Beach and they run all closed systems as well and they ar located right on the inlet. The keepers say it keeps things clean and prevents pathogens. The skim and filter the water so well, they don't really do water changes, just additives to maintain proper chemistry.

Pufferpunk
12/04/2009, 10:45 AM
I'd love to be that diver in there! I've never dove with that many species at one time. I do agree, they look very bored. I do not think whale sharks fare well in captivity--the 2 in GA Aq both died.

JPags
12/04/2009, 11:13 AM
I really want to visit these aquariums, they look amazing.

anbosu
12/04/2009, 11:38 AM
I'd love to be that diver in there! I've never dove with that many species at one time. I do agree, they look very bored. I do not think whale sharks fare well in captivity--the 2 in GA Aq both died.

Read AquaNight's post about about the whale sharks.

You can dive there, it's about $250 for a guided dive tour. They provide pretty much all the equipment, you are only allowed to use your mask and snorkel if I remember correctly. You can even buy a video of your dive.

elegance coral
12/04/2009, 12:28 PM
This isn't some rich redneck that threw a whale shark in his over sized swimming pool. These are scientist, biologists, veterinarians, and other professionals. I'm sure every aspect of these fishes lives are being recorded and studied. The knowledge we can gain from keeping fish like this in captivity is priceless. Who knows, some day something that was learned in this tank may help save the species.

I also agree with the others about displays like this educating the public. I've studied animals all my life. I've read all about killer whales, but nothing prepared me to see them up close and personal, at SeaWorld. I've never seen a whale shark, but I emagion it would be a sight I wouldn't soon forget. It's experiences like this that makes people want to protect these animals.

Kengar
12/04/2009, 01:09 PM
Here's one of the GA's 78 skimmers:
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/georgia-aquarium-16.jpg

and the pump that drives it:
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/georgia-aquarium-10.jpg

and their water testing center:
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/georgia-aquarium-19.jpg

I wonder if one of these would fit into my sump and in my stand. . . . .

Financial Panth
12/04/2009, 01:19 PM
hmmm wow, i was just picturing how crappy it would be to come look at your tank and see the whale shark had jumped and was laying on the floor dried up.

Jerky for everyone for months!

lol

Jared J
12/04/2009, 05:11 PM

Again.....the two whale sharks didn't die from anything the GA did. They had a reaction to the medication used to help them get rid of all the parasites they had.

kirkaz
12/04/2009, 09:55 PM
I'm all for aquariums like Georgia, and the Japanese one. I forget exactly how Bob Fenner put it in his book, but something to the effect of "people only care about and love what they know something about". Aquariums like these inspire future generations to learn about and love the ocean. I know every "good" public aquarium I've been to has been inspiring to me.

I went to SeaWorld this weekend and even had "breakfast with Shamu", I have mixed feelings seeing them in captivity, but those whales are well cared for, and they don't miss any meals.

keegoaz
12/16/2009, 09:21 PM

Extremely well said!
When it comes down to it i do believe that by being able to keep these amazing creatures not only to study but to share with the world is well worth it. Most species in that tank live in the open water something we could never ever replicate but as long as we can keep em healthy i think it is great. I hope i can visit this place one day.

surfthreeeleven
12/16/2009, 09:46 PM
I saw a similar display at the Atlanta aquarium last year - pretty stunning to stand there in person and watch "trained" whale sharks eat from a specific colored bucket of krill... Each whale shark had it's own color....

Recty
12/16/2009, 11:36 PM
So are all the whale sharks at GA dead?

Crazy One
12/17/2009, 12:48 AM

I think so, I wonder what they have to do with the dead carcuses when they die? Can't be pretty.
I would love to go to the Ga.aquarium next year on my to florida.
Do they offer a behind the scenes tour of all the equiptment?

AquaKnight
12/17/2009, 02:15 AM

I miss something? :confused: What right field did that come from?

I think so, I wonder what they have to do with the dead carcuses when they die? Can't be pretty.
I would love to go to the Ga.aquarium next year on my to florida.
Do they offer a behind the scenes tour of all the equiptment?
They certain offer guided behind the scene tours. Very recommended if you have the time (I only had 4 hours)

buttons buster
12/17/2009, 02:42 AM
That is a very beautiful aquarium though regardless of how "unnatural" it is.
thanks for sharing

Recty
12/17/2009, 10:11 AM
I miss something? :confused: What right field did that come from?

A couple posts back someone mentioned two whale sharks at GA died from the medication used to treat their parasites.

I'm heading down to Florida in January and am planning on heading up to Georgia for a day, I'd really like to not miss the whale sharks if possible.

anbosu
12/17/2009, 10:37 AM
A couple posts back someone mentioned two whale sharks at GA died from the medication used to treat their parasites.

I'm heading down to Florida in January and am planning on heading up to Georgia for a day, I'd really like to not miss the whale sharks if possible.

Those two were replaced, last time I was there they had 4 whale sharks.

Where are you going to be in Florida?

mojo10
12/17/2009, 11:03 AM
I think its awsome, and to the nay sayers, the only differance in your tank is that is likely not as clean..

AquaKnight
12/17/2009, 02:42 PM

The original two Norton and Ralph did both died from peritonitis resulting from medication. Err, Norton did die, but Ralph was euthanized after he began swimming erratically and stopped eating. They died in Jan 07, and June 07.

The Aquarium has had the 2 females since 2006. They received two new males in Jun 07. There are still 4 healthy whale sharks swimming around at Georgia Aquarium.

Recty
12/17/2009, 11:35 PM
Sweet, that's what I wanted to hear.

I'll be in Vero Beach where my wife's grandparents live for 4 or 5 days, we plan on spending one day at least down at the Keys and then one or two at some of the theme parks, then driving up to GA to see the aquarium, which I figure will take at least 8 hours to drive up.

Know of any good places to see/stop on the way from Vero Beach up to GA? :) I dont know that side of the country at all.

anbosu
12/18/2009, 08:29 AM
Sweet, that's what I wanted to hear.

I'll be in Vero Beach where my wife's grandparents live for 4 or 5 days, we plan on spending one day at least down at the Keys and then one or two at some of the theme parks, then driving up to GA to see the aquarium, which I figure will take at least 8 hours to drive up.

Know of any good places to see/stop on the way from Vero Beach up to GA? :) I dont know that side of the country at all.

If you had any desire to visit Gainesville that isn't too far off of 75. It takes about 7 hours to Atlanta from Tampa so 8 hours sounds about right. There isn't much on the way, but you could detour through Savannah if you are interested in that sort of thing. Are you going to dive while you are in the Keys?

LPino
12/18/2009, 08:56 AM
Wow, incredible. Definately have to see it on my next trip down to Florida!!

Korrine
12/19/2009, 03:21 PM
Wow that is a fantastic display. The GA aquarium is on my list of must visit places before I die :)

I just wish we could successfully a Great White in captivity. Now that would REALLY be spectacular.

atreyu917
01/05/2010, 03:46 PM
I, for one, am proud to say I'm from Georgia, and live within 45 minutes of the aquarium. I've been twice. The last time, someone who worked there did me a huge favor and gave me a 2 hour behind the scenes for free with just my friend and I.

If you have not gone, you need to. It is fascinating beyond imagination. The whale sharks are immense and the mantas are beautiful. They are constantly working on breeding and raising different species in captivity. While I was there I got a very unique chance to see baby Wobbegongs that were born in the main Ocean Voyager tank.

They really, truly have these animals health in mind. Our guide even spouted off the sharks names, along with the manta and belugas. I loved just hearing him tell stories about all their animals.

He was a part of the life support systems department and works overnight. He showed us the control room...RIDICULOUS! And all the skimmers and where they mixed the salt with water. The salt pallets they get are huge as well. haha.

I have a ton of pictures if anyone is interested.

I just say don't knock it, before you go! You just can't even imagine how much breeding and learning they do every day.

sean A.
01/06/2010, 10:16 AM
let's see some PICS

Rensmif
01/06/2010, 07:18 PM

Dittto

Marclex
01/06/2010, 10:51 PM
for anyone interested in swimming or diving at the GA aquarium heres the link.

http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/swimOrDive/index.aspx

kinda pricey to dive, but I'll def be taking advantage of that if I'm in the area

Crazy One
01/07/2010, 12:33 AM
for anyone interested in swimming or diving at the GA aquarium heres the link.

http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/swimOrDive/index.aspx

kinda pricey to dive, but I'll def be taking advantage of that if I'm in the area

I agree that seems kind of pricey for the amount of swimming or diving time you are actually in the water.
Is there a training procedure or a class that needs to be taken before getting in the Aquarium?
Now that I know they offer this, I'm going to have to try it next year on my way back from Florida. Probably one of the coolest things to do

Korrine
01/07/2010, 06:25 AM
Dittto

Just a tid bit of info for those that don't like it.

http://www.iucnredlist.org/apps/redlist/details/19488/0

<TABLE class=tab_data cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=label>Red List Category & Criteria:</TD><TD>Vulnerable A2bd+3d ver 3.1 (http://www.iucnredlist.org/apps/redlist/static/categories_criteria_3_1) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=label>Year Assessed:</TD><TD>2005</TD></TR><TR><TD class=label>Assessor/s</TD><TD>Norman, B.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=label>Evaluator/s:</TD><TD>Musick, J.A. & Fowler, S.L. (Shark Red List Authority)</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>Justification:
The Whale Shark (Rhincodon typus) is a cosmopolitan tropical and warm temperate species and is the world’s largest living chondrichthyan. Its life history is poorly understood, but it is known to be highly fecund and to migrate extremely large distances. Populations appear to have been depleted by harpoon fisheries in Southeast Asia and perhaps incidental capture in other fisheries. High value in international trade, a K-selected life history, highly migratory nature and normally low abundance make this species vulnerable to commercial fishing. Dive tourism involving this species has recently developed in a number of locations around the world, demonstrating that it is far more valuable alive than fished. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=label>History:</TD><TD><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>2000</TD><TD>–</TD><TD>Vulnerable </TD></TR><TR><TD>1996</TD><TD>–</TD><TD>Data Deficient </TD></TR><TR><TD>1994</TD><TD>–</TD><TD>Indeterminate (IUCN) </TD></TR><TR><TD>1990</TD><TD>–</TD><TD>Indeterminate (IUCN 1990) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I'd rather see them in captivity doing well than being fished out and totally wiped off the planet.

JHemdal
01/07/2010, 07:00 AM
Regarding not being able to keep white sharks in captivity - Monterey Bay aquarium has had 5 (4?) and all were tagged and released. My understanding is that these sharks were released not because they "outgrew" the tank, or were doing poorly but because once they reached a certain size, they began attacking various tankmates (or were thought to about to begin doing so). It was a collection management decision to release them - Monterey could have instead released the other fish and just kept the white shark, but that wouldn't allow for a very impressive exhibit....so it was a compatibility issue, not a physical husbandry one. In the physical regard, they were sucessfully kept.

Jay

Korrine
01/07/2010, 07:05 AM
wow. That'd be interesting to find out what size this began happening etc. I've always beens fascinated w/sharks. My favorite is the Mako :)

And I'm glued to the TV during Shark Week on Discovery Channel.

anbosu
01/07/2010, 08:23 AM
I agree that seems kind of pricey for the amount of swimming or diving time you are actually in the water.
Is there a training procedure or a class that needs to be taken before getting in the Aquarium?
Now that I know they offer this, I'm going to have to try it next year on my way back from Florida. Probably one of the coolest things to do

You have to have open water certification. They provide all of the equipment. Considering what you would pay to fly somewhere and dive with those fish it is a minimal cost. Last time I was there they had an opening and I am still kicking myself I didn't take it.

atreyu917
01/07/2010, 06:24 PM
Alright! Once I get to my laptop I'll upload pictures for you guys!

tangfish
01/08/2010, 12:50 AM
What is the difference in keeping lions in Zoo's and other land animals in "small settings"?

If if shows the public how great these animals are, then maybe more folks would be concern about how we treat our reefs and throw junk into the ocean.

If you are upset about fish/whales being in a tank, then don't have fish and corals at home or work ect....

Can't have it both ways and try to justify your way by saying "well they live in a small part on the reef anyway..."

Not to mention the benifits of studing the animals....

JHemdal
01/08/2010, 06:27 AM
All,

And don't forget that many of these "wide-ranging fish" are very content to hang out in a small area when there are cleaner fish present, during breeding season, or where there are unusually high food concentrations. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that because a certain species normally ranges widely, that they need to do that, or even that it is "good" for them.

I use the elephant argument: some maintain that if in the wild, an elephant walks 20 miles in a day, that they "need" to do that in captivity. That may not be correct - they walk that distance in the wild in order to find food and water. Forest elephants don't travel those distances. Same with migrating animals - they are following the food, breeding seasons, ets., they are *not* doing it for their overall well-being.

Jay Hemdal

atreyu917
01/09/2010, 10:23 AM
Alright guys, here are a few pictures from February 09, then the rest are here: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v605/atreyu917/GA%20Aquarium%20Feb%2009/
There are even a couple videos

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/atreyu917/GA%20Aquarium%20Feb%2009/100_1555.jpg
Tropical Diver area. These are the lights and wave maker above the display. Display is slowly having propogated coral added to it and has endless amounts of Anthias, Tangs, Rabbitfish, Moorish Idols, and some angels I believe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/atreyu917/GA%20Aquarium%20Feb%2009/100_1716.jpg
Tropical Diver

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/atreyu917/GA%20Aquarium%20Feb%2009/100_1719.jpg
This guy is in a Seahorse tank up in the behind the scenes area.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/atreyu917/GA%20Aquarium%20Feb%2009/100_1671.jpg
Ocean Voyager main window. Not even close to the amount of viewing space there actually is.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/atreyu917/GA%20Aquarium%20Feb%2009/100_1644.jpg
One of the displays. You're allowed to actually touch these guys

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/atreyu917/GA%20Aquarium%20Feb%2009/100_1638.jpg
Some kind of Hogfish?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/atreyu917/GA%20Aquarium%20Feb%2009/100_1610.jpg
That's a lot of salt.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/atreyu917/GA%20Aquarium%20Feb%2009/100_1692.jpg
Grouper!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/atreyu917/GA%20Aquarium%20Feb%2009/100_1561.jpg
Juv Zebra Shark I believe?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/atreyu917/GA%20Aquarium%20Feb%2009/100_1582.jpg
One of the younger male whale sharks I believe is what he said. This one kept coming up to where we were standing.

fishybudguy
01/09/2010, 10:35 AM
gee i wonder if these tanks would fit in my living room? ha ha ha thanks for the great link i will have to visit there