PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about efficient nano tank skimmers

george1098
11/28/2009, 07:18 PM
Hi guys
I'm thinking about setting up a nano tank, with a small sump / fuge that I'd like to throw a little skimmer in. I'm thinking an Aqua C remora would be a nice fit.. but to be honest I've been out of the hobby for a little while and I'm not current on my skimmers. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for an efficient skimmer that would fit happily in space say no bigger than 10" by 10". no preference as to what sort of skimmer at all, just something small and efficient.

goodtimes
11/28/2009, 08:03 PM
I wish I could tell you from experience but its only from what I have heard... Tunze 9002 is good. The magnet mount is also convenient.

bigworm175
11/28/2009, 08:08 PM
I love my AquaC Remora. I'm not using it right now because my current tank is way too big for it.

turtleone
12/01/2009, 05:30 PM
I run an octupuss hob and love it.

C3gear
12/01/2009, 05:39 PM
I currently run a Tunze 9002 on a 30g and it rocks, very small footprint also.

Chiefsurfer
12/01/2009, 06:37 PM
Getting a HOT from eshopps this week(tomorrow or thursday) and I will be filling this weekend. I can then tell you/show you how it does. I have nothing to compar it agains, so I do not know how well it will work compared to others, as this is my first.

Aquatraders.com has some interesting options.

nano427
12/01/2009, 06:44 PM
I am very happy with my tunze 9002

-RYknow
12/01/2009, 07:25 PM
We are running our Eshopps PSK-75h HOB, and I LOVE it!!! It's an awesome little skimmer IMO. I made a couple of small mods. I had to replace the "bubble trap" with a different piece of foam. The one that came with the Eshopps was cut a little shallow, and it caused the skimmer to overflow. I also got rid of the "silencer" on the air line. I replaced that with the little valve that comes with Maxi-jet power heads.

I also mesh modded it, but I didn't notice that much of a difference with it. I also noticed that it was a PAIN to get the skimmer to start up with the mesh mod. I've since removed the mesh, and haven't been having any issues.

The skimmer is GREAT though! It produces a great amount of skimmate! Here is a couple of quick pics about a month after I got the skimmer (this is without the mesh mod). The tank was very lightly stocked as well. 1 maroon Clown, and two Fire goby's, and roughly 22lbs. LR.

2 days:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/omega666/Our%2020%20Gallon%20Tank/DSC00873Fixed.jpg

4 Days:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/omega666/Our%2020%20Gallon%20Tank/DSC00930Fixed.jpg

And from the top:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/omega666/Our%2020%20Gallon%20Tank/DSC00929Fixed.jpg

These pics are old. I will take more current pics if people are interested. Current pics might be interesting for some. I'm currently just curing LR, so the tank is empty, aside from the LR. It's still got a pretty nice brown tint.

-RYknow

-RYknow
12/01/2009, 07:51 PM
Ok, I don't want to hijack your thread...but I just took a couple pics to show how the Eshopps PSK-75 performs on a tank with nothing but LR and LS.

This is after less then 24 hours (I'm skimming on the wet side right now.):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/omega666/Our%2020%20Gallon%20Tank/DSC01532Sized.jpg

Those nice little bubbles are without any mesh too! Thats stock performance (aside from the maxi-jet valve). I'm sure this isn't anything special, but it's pretty impressive to me. I am somewhat of a noob with skimmers, so my opinion probably doesn't mean much. But I still think the skimmate production on a tank with just LR, in less then 24 hours is pretty good!

-RYknow

kyrin01
12/01/2009, 07:52 PM
Yup. +1 on the Tunze 9002. It is awesome!

DexterOne
12/01/2009, 10:03 PM
I have a CADlight 22g and I am also looking for a skimmer. I want a skimmer that does not soak my carpet if not properly adjusted... My last skimmer on my 65g was really hard to adjust and would just fill the collection cup like crazy just like that. Any suggestions for a skimmer that can't overflows out of the tank?

Chiefsurfer
12/01/2009, 11:20 PM
I think ALL can overflow, it is just how easily. from what I have seen, the skimmers that have REALLY BIG collection cups are also some of the "cheaper" skimmers. I think it is just a marketing ploy. They can say......."well, my collection cup is the biggest on the market".

-RYknow
12/02/2009, 05:02 AM
I don't know about all skimmers, but our Eshopps, and our Rouge Wave on our 90 gallon both have a little overflow thing on the collection cup. I run a piece of tubing from the collection cup, to a bucket under the tank to prevent any spills. I just use old salt buckets with the cover on them, and just cut a small hole in the top for the tubing. This prevents the skimmate from stinking the place up.

I agree with Chiefsurfer though. Either one of our skimmers will overflow like crazy, when not properly adjusted. But once you have it dialed in, I'll go a week or more without even having to empty the collection cup.

Every skimmer is going to be a bit of a pain in the begining, with break in time and everything. But once the break in is done, they (in my experience with the two skimmers I have) settle right down, and become extremely easy to maintain and use.

-RYknow

DexterOne
12/02/2009, 08:05 PM
I just need a skimmer that will overflow in my tank back compartment and not on my floor, emptying my tank. So I guess it needs a small and narrow collection cup...

Bignate
12/02/2009, 09:52 PM
I have used eight different skimmers. My favorite is the octopus HOB 100. By far the most predictable and easy to maintain.

ckranz
12/02/2009, 10:29 PM
The Eshopp looks great!!!

E.intheC
12/02/2009, 10:42 PM
Yup. +1 on the Tunze 9002. It is awesome!

Yes it is a great little skimmer. Very quiet, reliable, and a good performer. The Aqua C was a terrible piece of equipment IMO and IME.

What's your budget? If you can step it up a bit, I'd go with the new Warner Marine H1 or H2 with a bubble plate. I had an H2 and it was a beast.

mak3mydae
12/02/2009, 11:08 PM
I was suggested the Tunze 9002. Reviews seem pretty good. Going to buy one of these whenever i get the money for it :(

reeftivo
12/03/2009, 11:16 AM
Tunze, Saphire or Euroreef if you have to put it in the rear chamber. If you can hang it then +1 warner marine$$ or octo BH100F but you'll need at least 4" behind the tank. The Eshopps does look interesting though!

csueeman
12/03/2009, 11:48 AM
I have always had great luck with my Aqua C remora. Do use the overflow box, though it can take up some space in a smaller tank.

SlvrSurfRidr
12/03/2009, 02:40 PM
I've got the Sapphire,quite a few people with Biocube and JBJ 25-30gallon tanks are running those. Affordable, factory mesh moded, these babies work great

sfboarders
12/03/2009, 02:46 PM
Are those octopus skimmers pretty quiet?

Are you able to mount the Tunze in an acrylic tank without a sump? If so, how?

E.intheC
12/03/2009, 04:10 PM
Are you able to mount the Tunze in an acrylic tank without a sump? If so, how?

Yes, the Tunze comes with a magnet mount. The older models had a bracket but those haven't been sold in a long time. (New anyway)

sfboarders
12/03/2009, 04:55 PM
Yes, the Tunze comes with a magnet mount. The older models had a bracket but those haven't been sold in a long time. (New anyway)

I understand it comes with a magnet mount but where would it mount especially with the top acrylic brace that surrounds the entire perimeter of the tank?