PDA

View Full Version : Dead Rock

Grandreef 2
11/29/2009, 06:38 AM
Hello,
I'm putting together my rock work are when I go to get more at my only local dealer they tell me that I could use dead rock on the bottom as the base and my live rock for the top. Is this a good idea since my cycleing has already begone after I added dr tims one and only almost 2-3 weeks ago ans how do I prepare the rock so it can go in my tank?

Denbf58
11/29/2009, 07:53 AM
the sooner the better to get the rock in the tank you will get a spike from the die of the live rock . how much rock is in the tank now?

billdogg
11/29/2009, 07:55 AM
I use almost all "dead" rock. In fact I have never (20+ years and counting) bought a piece of "live" rock or live sand for that matter. I have always used the "Good things never happen fast" theory of marine aquaria keeping. That being said - it really is not a bad idea to seed your base rock with a couple pieces of live rock - I just have always done it by adding a few small corals - they come on liverock!

leafeater
11/29/2009, 08:32 AM
Whenever I get rock from others I always dry it out and "kill" it then slowly add the new pieces to my tank with the live rock. Works great.

Grandreef 2
11/29/2009, 08:35 AM
I have around 25 lb of live rock.
Thanks