PDA

View Full Version : Double decker sump

shluffer
11/29/2009, 03:28 PM
I recently moved my sump from under my tank to the room next store. My next realization, I need more space! I have a 40 gallon breeder. My thought is to put 2x4s across the top of the breeder. I would than put a metal shelf on top of the 2x4s (the metal is painted so I'm not worried about rust). I would then put a 18 gallon tote on top of the shelf. My water will drain from the tank to the tote (which will contain the protein skimmer) and than flow from the tote into the sump (with my chaeto and RDSB).

I will get three benefits from this. First the breeder will be covered reducing evaporation. Second, the cover will keep little hands out (and the tote is to high for said little hands). Third, I will have a constant water depth (no baffles in the sump) for my protein skimmer.

I'm worried that the weight will be too much for the breeder. Should it be able to hold the weight? I'm not in the mood to build a stand which would be my only other option.

shackscs
11/29/2009, 08:32 PM
I would "get into the mood" to make the stand. You are relying on the strength of the 1/8" glass to support a tote that will hold water that weights about 8.5lbs per gallon?

Build the stand. Less sleepless nights wondering when it will fail.

shluffer
11/29/2009, 09:46 PM
I realized that I was being very silly.

I built a support on wach side of the sump and put a wire shelf across it. The shelf is rated for 500 pounds. I figure it should be ok.

I just need to add the drains to the tote and I should be set. Currently the water just pours out. It works but is loud. Let me know if anything looks off to you. I have enough space to reach in and cull the Chaeto, but not ,much more. I can easily siphon the tote if necessary to get at the stuff underneath. wouldn't be much fun though.

Pic attached.

hebygb
11/30/2009, 11:21 AM
You asked for critique... I don't like the idea of having to break down half of your fishroom, to access the other half.

Painted doesn't equal rust proof, especially in a SW environment.

$10 - $20 in wood, a saw and a couple of hours and you are done. and you will have a nice maintainable system.

shluffer
11/30/2009, 12:36 PM
Your point on the metal is well put. I will check if the shelf is rust resistant.

I'm not sure how I can make the bottom more accesable without increasing the footprint. I can't raise the top tier higher because if I do the tank will no longer drain. While I can't get into the bottom without draining the top, I can reach in to cull the charro. There is no frequentl maintnance that requires access, unless I am forgetting something.

Thank you for the critique. I would like to hear more.