PDA

View Full Version : I need some feedback on Calcium Please

Prenderosa
11/29/2009, 08:27 PM
I noticed that my Ca was low 200..I went to the LFS and they gave me two products...B-Ionic 1&2 and Brightwell Calcium P...They told me to dose the calcium for a week and then start the 1&2 Process after testing...Then I checked my Mg and it was 1100...at that point I went back and they gave me Brightwell Mg in Liquid form...I have been dosing this for a week and now I am at 1180 MG...I have a 105 gallon 3/4 round and a sump with a phos reactor and Skimmer...
PH is 8.3
Alk is 9
No traces of Nitrites or Amonia...
My tank is 9 months old and is beginning to grow Green Algae...

Please help!!! I am very patient and I am in for the long haul....
Thanks

KyleO
11/29/2009, 08:33 PM
What does your Nitrates and Phosphates look like? These are the 2 big factors in whether that algae is going to bloom or not....

fish crazy
11/29/2009, 08:37 PM
What kind of live stock is in the tank What do you have for lights ,how long do you keep them on .How old is your test kit.How long do you wait to test after using 2 part. Just a start.

Prenderosa
11/29/2009, 08:45 PM
Nitrates are 3..I added kent nitrate pellets...My Phos is a trace only but I suspect the Algae is consuming it...I have 1 yellow tang, 3 Anthias, 1 Blennie...
Corals 1 huge frogspawn, Green leather, red mushrooms and Blue, Clove pollop, Xenia, and a 2 head toadstool...I tested 6 hours after using the 2 parts..
My main question is I am dosing the Brightwell Calcium P and using Bionic too...is this ok?? My alk and Mg are up there and I didnt want to mess with them...Just Ca..thats why he said (the LFS) to dose with Ca and use the 2 part???

Prenderosa
11/29/2009, 08:47 PM
By the way I Thank you both for the quick return on this site!!! wow what a great feeling to have people so helpful...its a great hobby!

Prenderosa
11/29/2009, 08:57 PM
sorry one more point...My Ca has not moved its still 200 after 2 weeks and that is why I am curious...

fish crazy
11/29/2009, 09:01 PM
Nitrates are 3..I added kent nitrate pellets...My Phos is a trace only but I suspect the Algae is consuming it...I have 1 yellow tang, 3 Anthias, 1 Blennie...
Corals 1 huge frogspawn, Green leather, red mushrooms and Blue, Clove pollop, Xenia, and a 2 head toadstool...I tested 6 hours after using the 2 parts..
My main question is I am dosing the Brightwell Calcium P and using Bionic too...is this ok?? My alk and Mg are up there and I didnt want to mess with them...Just Ca..thats why he said (the LFS) to dose with Ca and use the 2 part???
I would only use the two part. I use it daily . My system is about 160 gal with the sump & I use 10ml each a&b . I also have a lot of clams that consume CA & is why I use so much. I test every week & average test for me is 450 to 460. I am told that is very good.Also when I first started using it I used about 15ml each to get my CA up to par faster /I was told not to do that but it had no ill effect .

Prenderosa
11/29/2009, 09:05 PM
only 10 ml!!! It said 1ml for every 4 Gal????
Also as for the other questions...
I have a 250 Metal halide with 2 24 watt ACt....I keep the act on 11am-10pm and the Metal halide for 7 hours....Lastly the test kits are 4 months old
Thanks

fish crazy
11/29/2009, 09:20 PM
only 10 ml!!! It said 1ml for every 4 Gal????
Also as for the other questions...
I have a 250 Metal halide with 2 24 watt ACt....I keep the act on 11am-10pm and the Metal halide for 7 hours....Lastly the test kits are 4 months old
ThanksI was told to run my MH for a minimum of 8 to 10 hours & have been for many years. I would increase my time but just an opinion I am not an expert. Also I just read the bottle of WM Calxmax & it says 5ml for each 25 gal.I have purple up & it says 5ml for each 50gal. Just be careful & read again to be sure if you haven,t already .test kit should be fine at 4 months . ? is how long do they sit on the shelf at the LFS.HAHAHA

Prenderosa
11/29/2009, 09:27 PM
I agree on all points lol.. but I reduced the MH to 7 hours because I was getting this horible GREEN Algae...its not hair its like a jelly type...AHHHHHHH its driving me nuts...By the way the B-ionic sais 1ml per 4 gal...thanks for the advice but I was sure on that one...More important how would I increase my Ca if I dont dose seperate...the B-ionic maintains only???

fish crazy
11/29/2009, 09:33 PM
I agree on all points lol.. but I reduced the MH to 7 hours because I was getting this horible GREEN Algae...its not hair its like a jelly type...AHHHHHHH its driving me nuts...By the way the B-ionic sais 1ml per 4 gal...thanks for the advice but I was sure on that one...More important how would I increase my Ca if I dont dose seperate...the B-ionic maintains only???I,m sorry I dont understand . are you not using two part or just b part only. & on the light I set back time on them 15 min at a time until algae blooms stopped. That gel stuff sounds bad:bigeyes:

Prenderosa
11/29/2009, 09:37 PM
I am using both the 2 part BUT they say keep it even dosing..and to increase the calcium use the Brightwell Calcium just to raise calcium...but thats not helping...they were very specific on not using the bart 2 more than the part 1...it has other stuff in it besides Ca

fish crazy
11/29/2009, 09:44 PM
You need to use equal parts A&B . My A&B is a buffer & raises CA. I dont use B-inoc & not familiar w/the product.

Prenderosa
11/29/2009, 09:50 PM
do you know anyone that could help me with info on the Bionic???I bought it already and started..I dont want to start changing???There has to be a Reefcentral Guru??? LOL

fish crazy
11/29/2009, 09:56 PM
do you know anyone that could help me with info on the Bionic???I bought it already and started..I dont want to start changing???There has to be a Reefcentral Guru??? LOL
yes there is & his name is Randy . He is always around this forum & supprised he hasnt had a reply to your problem. Sorry I wasnt more helpful.

Prenderosa
11/29/2009, 09:58 PM
Hey no problem!!!! I love talking about this all the time...Keep in touch...I am looking for a reef club in NJ too...

fish crazy
11/29/2009, 10:04 PM
Hey no problem!!!! I love talking about this all the time...Keep in touch...I am looking for a reef club in NJ too...
Hey his name is Randy Holmes Farley he seems to really know his stuff. Do a search & find him. Let me know how it works out. I dont know any clubs in NJ but I think you can post a search for members in NJ. Ps I came from up state NY