PDA

View Full Version : is this normal?

shecky79
11/30/2009, 03:12 AM
Hey guys is it normal for an aquarium that is still cycling to have ph levels drop from 8.02 to 7.79 in about 2 1/2 weeks. And what precautions do I need to take? Thanks mike

captstinky
11/30/2009, 05:55 AM
Good day shecky79!
We could give more feedback if more data were provided: what size tank, amount of liverock, type of substrate, method of testing Ph...are tests being done at same time of day?

Typically wild things can happen during a cycle-I'm not sure I'd sweat it yet. Let the tank ride until ammonia, nitrate levels stablilize, then you might consider a Ph Buffer if you still see swings. Ph can vary from time of day, lighting cycles, etc.

wildman6809
11/30/2009, 06:57 AM
the only time that my ph would swing was at night when the lights went out on my old tank. now i have a frag tank that i reverse cycle so my ph stays stable. as far as a tank cycling i dont think that the ph should swing. i would check it a few times a day to see if it is staying low or if it is moving around.

HUNGER
11/30/2009, 07:28 AM
the only time that my ph would swing was at night when the lights went out on my old tank. now i have a frag tank that i reverse cycle so my ph stays stable. as far as a tank cycling i dont think that the ph should swing. i would check it a few times a day to see if it is staying low or if it is moving around.

i agree

spleify
11/30/2009, 07:35 AM
Good day shecky79!
We could give more feedback if more data were provided: what size tank, amount of liverock, type of substrate, method of testing Ph...are tests being done at same time of day?

+1 on these questions. Time of day, and what you are using to test are the main questions I have

Frick-n-Frags
11/30/2009, 10:58 AM
sure. moreso during cycling than later(hopefully)

what makes pH drop? acid makes pH drop.
what makes acid? biological activity makes acid.
when do you have a concentrated burst of biological activity? cycling! :D

if you have never buffered the water yet, this makes it all the more plausible.

it is just a fact of reef life that you will have forever: alk +pH slowly drop over time if left alone.

shecky79
11/30/2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks all I have 130gallon bow front with 60# of live rock from a established tank and around a little over 50# of dry rock my temp is 81.6 and my salinity is 1.025. I am monitoring my ph with a reefkeeper2 probe wich is new and calibrated I have 80# of live sand and my tank has been cycling for a week now. Ph started dropping after live rock was added last week. I woke up to it being 7.80 ph.anything I need t do or just let nature run its coarse?

wooden_reefer
11/30/2009, 11:28 AM
Nitrification is an acidifing process, as a part of the biochemical equation. (Denitrification generates base ion.)

Some ends products of decay also acidifies the water.

I always prefer to cycle separately using much reduced amounts of water and then transfer the cycled medium to the tank, whenever feasible.

bertoni
11/30/2009, 08:21 PM
pH at 7.8 is fine for a running tank, so it's definitely not a concern when there's still a lot of decay happening. I would watch the ammonia, and ignore the pH for the time being.