PDA

View Full Version : Failed baffles - Questions

Rybren
12/01/2009, 07:41 AM
This is my first sump build. In an attempt to make the skimmer removal easier, I decided to use the Pressure Locking sump baffles as described on Wet Web Media http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i1/Baffles/bafflesart.htm

I got the baffles (1/4" acrylic) in place without difficulty, but unfortunately, once the water was in the sump, they can't hold up to the pressure of water movement and won't stay in place ( I suspect that the baffles were cut a tad too narrow, thus they are too loose)

I'd like to be able to still have removable baffles, so I was thinking of trying to affix acrylic guides to hold the baffles in place. I suspect that my best option is to drain the sump, dry it out, and do it that way, but is there any glue that I can use to bond the acrylic strips to the glass sump while the water is still in the sump?

Thanks

BeanAnimal
12/01/2009, 07:44 AM
no... you need to drain the sump :)

der_wille_zur_macht
12/01/2009, 07:46 AM
With all the stories of expanding acrylic sump baffles cracking glass tanks, that method looks to me like a disaster in the making. :(

Rybren
12/01/2009, 10:16 AM
I think I knew the answer before asking. Thanks for the input.

Guess I'll be draining the sump and getting some new baffles tonight.

usctrack
03/02/2010, 08:21 AM
Hmm. I ran across that link last night and was a little excited about the idea until I found this. That is why I started looking for others who have tried it. I will be making my first sump/fuge and still have no idea of what the correct water level should be in each chamber.

ROB2005
03/02/2010, 08:31 AM
Like the others would recommend, stick to glass baffles for a glass sump. Trust me from experience not worth the effort of trying to stick acrylic to glass.

usctrack
03/02/2010, 09:26 AM
What width of glass do you reccomend and where can I find it easily. I think Lowes has some glass but not sure if its thick enough?

hebygb
03/02/2010, 09:34 AM
For baffles... Acrylic works fine and silicone will hold a baffle in place on a glass tank just fine. In fact I will let any of you pick up one of my glass sumps by the acrylic baffles that I siliconed in (empty of course).

I also have never had an acrylic baffle swell and crack the sump.

I cut my baffles 3/16" short of a tight fit. Run a thin bead of silicone on the ends of baffle (out of tank), let set overnight. Place the baffles in the desired position in the sump, compressing the silicone into the glass sides and or bottom as appropriate for the baffle. Silicone the seams on both sides. Let cure.

It doesnt get much easier than that. they will not pop out, the water pressure will not move them and they are removable if for some reason you wanted to (with a razor blade).

fishysteve
03/02/2010, 12:20 PM
I've always used acrylic baffles in glass tanks. Never had a problem in about eight years of doing it. I've installed them in snake cages too to make water areas the size I wanted. My 8 foot boas weren't even able to move them or make them leak, and they weighed about 15 lbs a piece.

dg3147
03/02/2010, 01:16 PM
I actually have used the marine weather stripping for my baffles and it works pretty well. If yours are a bit loose, what about creating baffle "guides" to support each individual pane of acrylic. Then the acrylic could slide in and out easily (this, I have not tried --but it seems like it would work). Am I making sense?

Also, if the pressure between your baffles is an issue, you might consider building an egg crate brace between the baffles. Essentially, it would be a box of egg crate sitting between each baffle for extra support.

truckdoctor
03/02/2010, 05:00 PM
ever sump i have made also had acrylic baffles silconed in glass tanks hever had a problem.

das75
03/02/2010, 11:36 PM
not that I've ever bothered changing the baffles since setting up (have removed for cleaning though) but below is my sump. It would easily allow me to change the position or replace with different heights. The baffles don't sit in tight but still hold the water back.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/060210sump.jpg