PDA

View Full Version : the hardiest fish in the world!

romsoccer12
12/01/2009, 03:41 PM
well its not saltwater, but i learned on planetearth that a species of mollies lives in water with sulfuric acid and stuff, it would kill any other animal in the world, even humans, and most bacteria cant live in it, yet thousands of mollies swim around in it! its crazy what they can survive through adaptation

E.intheC
12/01/2009, 09:35 PM
psshhh.. I can DRINK sulfuric acid and survive.

...oh wait, that's Keystone light.. :rolleyes:

Iwishihadgills
12/01/2009, 09:44 PM
haha i saw that! hella crazy

E.intheC
12/01/2009, 09:48 PM
..and on a serious note; that's really neat. How about the sulfuric vents in the ocean depths? Or the "shoreline" with super high salinity water that looks like a lake, and the clams form a 'beach'..

agreeive?fish
12/02/2009, 09:09 AM
human knowledge of mother nature is so limited and iam willing to bet that there will be many more discoveries of life living in conditions that would kill most life on earth in seconds..infact my neighbor and i just had this discussion last night for several hours

Stuart60611
12/02/2009, 10:13 AM
Yes, and now that the assertion that life is very fragile and requires very specific and limited conditions to survive has been conclusively proven incorrect it is has caused many scientists to re-examine the possibility that life may actually exist on other planets which were before considered incapeable of sustaining life, including some in our own solar system.

romsoccer12
12/02/2009, 02:08 PM
maybe there are mollies swimming in the water they found on the moon =O

E.intheC
12/02/2009, 02:36 PM
I'm betting there's life on Jupiter's moon (Io? However you spell that escapes me right now) under the huge ice sheets.

romsoccer12
12/02/2009, 02:58 PM
what makes you think that?

Stuart60611
12/02/2009, 03:10 PM
The ice sheets. Where there is water there is often life. I recently saw a special on life existing in some of the harshest environments on earth, such as in acid water, super cold and warm conditions, super dry conditions, etc. The thesis was that life can survive in a surprising number of conditions that we for quite a long time thought was impossible. Really opens the mind in terms of what life could be like in far distant places. And we thought our fish tanks were cool.

E.intheC
12/02/2009, 04:22 PM
+1 as the above. Plus, the scientists were saying that they believe the center of Io is very hot. In addition, there's cracks and large ridges/canyons on the surface of the ice

Sheol
12/02/2009, 06:38 PM
IO? Nah that's the one that is mostly one BIG volcano.
Europa is the one, the cueball looking moon. Pretty sure there is an ocean for a mantle & geothermal energy.

Matthew
PS. BTW just saw an article elsewhere about the ol Mars rock. seems like NASA is leaning towards fossils afterall.
Well, it only took 14 years!

E.intheC
12/02/2009, 07:11 PM
IO? Nah that's the one that is mostly one BIG volcano.
Europa is the one, the cueball looking moon. Pretty sure there is an ocean for a mantle & geothermal energy.

Matthew
PS. BTW just saw an article elsewhere about the ol Mars rock. seems like NASA is leaning towards fossils afterall.
Well, it only took 14 years!

That's what it is!! (I knew I was spelling it wrong, :lol: ) ..That's what I get for posting when I shouldn't be.

Mustang Boy
12/03/2009, 12:51 AM
wow that is pretty neat do you have any links to the article

and i agree that there can definitely be life on other planets and this is the way i see it. What out there says a creature that developed on a totally differnt planet has to breathe air i mean what says that a creature that develops on another planet HAS to breathe oxygen why cant they breathe say nitrogen and why do all organisms need water just because we do doesnt mean life cant be started on another planet in another galaxy in say sulfuric acid(as an example)

Stuart60611
12/03/2009, 10:04 AM
Below is a link to a pretty good article on the subject.

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=463

Sheol
12/03/2009, 06:35 PM
Try the Astrobiology Web, you can find lots of related stuff. Which is where I saw that article on old Allen Hills whatever that number was. Something about new thinking on the iron particles.

Matthew