PDA

View Full Version : Quick Glass drill bit question

rickb
12/01/2009, 08:50 PM
I was looking to buy one today but I never realized there are diamond and steel bits and the price for the same bit ranges from 25 to over 100 dollars. Just curious what the difference is. How much better is the expensive one, the only reason is because I just bought a new tank I want to drill and I'd rather not risk anything.

thanks

uncleof6
12/01/2009, 08:54 PM
You will want to use the diamond dust bits, they are not very expensive at all, and do a good job. You can get them here (http://glass-holes.com/main.sc), but if you want to get them locally, at least you will know what to look for.....

Regards,

Jim

hllywd
12/01/2009, 09:16 PM
I get mine from www.richontools.com , they come from Hong Kong so the shipping takes a while, but they're good, cheap saws.
Tim

rickb
12/02/2009, 10:49 PM
How many holes can I get out of a diamond coated, I've seen numbers from 3-4 to 20-30?

I'm looking to do a closed loop so I'll need at least 4-5 plus the sump and above tank refugium.

thanks for the links, the only thing is that it looks like the glass holes guys are on vacation, but I can probably wait.

svb57
12/02/2009, 10:50 PM
I have drilled around 20 so far in my system.....

TAB
12/02/2009, 11:15 PM
for thiner glass you might get 10 -20 out of it. for thicker glass, you would be lucky if you get 5.

like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

andrewarrington
12/02/2009, 11:25 PM
I'd like to know what the difference is between the glass holes bits and the super pricey bits.

rickb
12/02/2009, 11:43 PM
Yeah, the glass Im looking to drill is thick at least 1/2 probably 3/4.

TAB
12/03/2009, 12:10 AM
I'd like to know what the difference is between the glass holes bits and the super pricey bits.

in a word,

diamonds.

they have more of them, they are better quality, they are applyed better...

jaypeeroe
12/03/2009, 12:12 AM
+1 ... you get what you pay for.

hllywd
12/03/2009, 07:58 AM
+1 ... you get what you pay for.

I think this may be one of the rare cases that statement isn't really relevant. Do you need to pay 30, 40, 50 dollars plus for a saw that you can cut 1000 holes with? My answer is probably not, unless you're going into production.

My 45mm hole saw has seen between 20 an 30 holes in various thicknesses of glass. To be sure, it is showing some wear, but looks like it has plenty of life left. I paid less than $7.00 shipped from Hong Kong. I've drilled holes with the same saws for myself, and a few others. I can't imagine a hobbyist needing a more robust and costly saw with only a few cuts to make.

Tim

hllywd
12/03/2009, 08:03 AM
How many holes can I get out of a diamond coated, I've seen numbers from 3-4 to 20-30?

I'm looking to do a closed loop so I'll need at least 4-5 plus the sump and above tank refugium.

thanks for the links, the only thing is that it looks like the glass holes guys are on vacation, but I can probably wait.

rickb - In my opinion, and experience, you will be able to cut the holes you need and more with either the saws I referenced, or the glass-holes.com saws which incidently look very similar...
Tim

rickb
12/03/2009, 09:46 PM
thanks hollywood, thats exactly the info i was looking for.

jaypeeroe
12/04/2009, 01:54 AM

i wasn't telling him to go out and buy the most expensive. i was stating a fact that most of the time when your talking about the bits there is a relation between how long it's going to last and how much it costs. you get what you pay for.

if i'm going to drill 4 holes, i'd buy cheap and i wouldn't expect it to last forever. he asked what's the difference between the expensive ones and the cheaper bits. my answer was relevant to the question.

if you can get away with saving money, do it. you'll spend it on something else down the road in this hobby!

rickb
12/04/2009, 06:52 AM
44 millimeters = 1" bulkhead ?

hllywd
12/04/2009, 08:11 AM
Usually 45mm.

Chris27
12/04/2009, 10:10 AM
Personally, I wouldn't take the chance and drill through 1/2 or 3/4" thick glass with a $7 bit, they make a rough cut and it's very easy to chip the glass.

This website was recommended to me when I was looking to buy a new bit. The diamond plated core bits are good, cost roughly $25, and will drill 5-10 holes very well. If you are planning on drilling a whole bunch of holes or have a club that wants to purchase one for a a bunch of people to share, the TPM/PDT Series Metal Bond Diamond Drill Bits are a sure choice, but they are expensive.

www.technologylk.com

I like to but the best tool I can when doing a job, it makes things much easier. My grandfather always told me that poor people can't afford to buy cheap stuff, because we can't afford to replace it....Spend the money up front, and you'll be happier down the road.

Jtro
12/04/2009, 10:40 AM
I have used the cheaper ones several times and they are still working great.

Chris27
12/04/2009, 12:09 PM
But what happens when they don't work great....too big a risk for me to bite off and chew when drilling a large expensive tank.

I wouldn't think twice about drilling a $30 tank with a $7 saw, but I would want the best saw I could afford when drilling a $1000 tank.

Just my $0.02 - that $20 or $30 extra bucks doesn't seem like much to me.

hllywd
12/06/2009, 09:46 AM
Chris27,

Seriously, "what happens when they don't work great"? It's a diamond hole saw, maybe not commercial grade, but more than adequate to cut a few holes. If it wears out, then get another one and you're still $86 ahead.

Mine has lasted for 20 or 30 holes in various thicknesses of glass, and looks like it has quite a few left to go. The extra $93 for the least expensive 45mm saw on the web site you posted is more effectively spent elsewhere. $30 tank or $1000 tank, you're over thinking this.

Tim