PDA

View Full Version : T5 suggestions for 90 gallon

gonpostal
12/01/2009, 09:19 PM
I'm going to be upgrading to a 90 gallon tank, and need a 48" T5 fixture. I have a 30" Current USA Sundial (4 bulbs) on my 56 gallon column tank. When I put the legs on my Sundial, there's too much glare when sitting near it on the sofa. I wound up sitting it directly on the tank without the legs, and it works out great. I'd like a fixture that puts out a little more light, and can sit directly on the tank without legs. It would also have to have an acrylic splash shield. I wanted the Aquactinics TX5, but was told that Aquatinics won't be shipping any until "after Christmas" (don't know how long after Christmas).
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

gonpostal
12/02/2009, 06:12 PM
Any suggestions for a T5 fixture, or any creative ways to block the glare from the side of a fixture on legs?
*Maybe I should have asked this in the noob section :)*

rick88
12/02/2009, 07:16 PM
go ATI powermodule or sunpower

gonpostal
12/02/2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was actually considering the NEP. The glare I'm talking about is between the fixture and the top of the tank. I can see the bulbs while sitting on the sofa watching TV, and it's pretty annoying. I like the Sunpower, but I'm afraid the glare will be even worse. That's what I liked about the TX5, it can be mounted directly on the top of the tank.

Aqua Keepers
12/03/2009, 06:12 AM
I had the same issue with an MH set up I had. What I did was made a kind of 3 sided skirt that sat on the tank like a hood. I added fans on the side for cooling.

Aqua Keepers
12/03/2009, 06:14 AM
I had the same issue with an MH set up I had. What I did was made a kind of 3 sided skirt that sat on the tank like a hood. I added fans on the side for cooling.

Aqua Keepers
12/03/2009, 02:25 PM
I meant to add this pic in my last post

gonpostal
12/04/2009, 08:43 PM
Interesting idea, I'll have to give that some thought.
Thanks.