PDA

View Full Version : new to photography, have questions

svynx
12/02/2009, 08:11 AM
I've been reading a lot of the "brand/type vs brand/type" threads on here for quite some time. There is a lot of good information. I am doing some research on good superzoom cameras...reading reviews from both people with them and on Consumer Reports. My main goals are: good tank shots (both close-ups and action...fish), sports shots (sister plays quite a few). I would like to have both automatic and manual focus.
I need some help. Point me in the right direction, possibly even suggest a few. If I can stay below the $400 mark, I'd be happy. And if you have the time, some pros/cons of the camera you use.
Thanks in advance.

Rhizo
12/02/2009, 12:37 PM
The talk is huge. However, your interests are a bit conflicting with your price range. Later you will find that for sports there is a huge array of quality optics between brands, but they do come with a heavy tag.

IMHO every camera that can shoot RAW today works for your tank. I still own a very old TZ1 PS camera. If I had a tank right now, I'd show you what I can do with just JPEG. (Actually I may let me do some digging around)

For everyday pictures cameras like the Canon XSI, T1i, 40D, 50D, Pentax Km, Kx, K10D, K20D, Olympus 410, 420, 450, 510, 520, 620, Nikon D40, D60, D80, etc. will do just fine. The names add up, but this is all that comes to mind right now.

If money is indeed an issue look into brands like Pentax or Olympus. I had Pentax before, and I absolutely loved my old MF lenses. The key point with these brands is that any lens benefits from in body IS. It does have its drawbacks, but I'll let you be the judge of it.

Rhizo
12/02/2009, 12:50 PM
Here is what I mean. The picture is very old. JPEG shot with a PS camera. Something like 4-5 years ago? At the time I knew a little more about photography than your average consumer, but would still consider myself a complete noob.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/4710/94monthsbeforebreakdownz.jpg (http://img692.imageshack.us/i/94monthsbeforebreakdownz.jpg/)

svynx
12/07/2009, 06:52 AM
Well, with some more research and footwork, i've narrowed it down to two different cameras. I'm looking at either the Canon SX10 IS or the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28. Both have good reviews with good features. Anyone out there with more personal experience than me on these (used them in the store...that's about it).

Rhizo
12/10/2009, 03:19 PM
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28

Judging from the images I have seen from it. This model is very user friendly with good IQ for a PS.