PDA

View Full Version : Help adjusting skimmer.

Dutch06
12/02/2009, 11:49 AM
This is probably a super noob question but I had somebody else set my tank up so I'm ignorant of the process.

I have a Euroreef 180 skimmer.

How/where/what do I adjust to increase or decrease the amount being skimmed? I assume it's the external "return" pipe. Does the pipe up mean more or less? What exactly does wet skimming mean? Is wet skimming more or less aggressive?

Can somebody shed some light on this for me?

Newreeflady
12/02/2009, 12:01 PM
I don't have this skimmer, but generally whatever output pipe configuration releases more water, the less/drier skimmate you will get. And, vice versa, letting less water out, means wetter skimmate.

Wetter skimming is considered more aggressive. If you wet skim be sure to account for loss of saltwater and to check salinity according to how much you are losing.

-A

Dutch06
12/02/2009, 01:06 PM
Thank you for the reply.

How do you lose salt? Salt is skimmed out of water also?

xJake
12/02/2009, 01:14 PM
Thank you for the reply.

How do you lose salt? Salt is skimmed out of water also?

The effluent from the skimmer (skimmate) is basically just saltwater from your tank that has highly concentrated levels of dissolved waste. It may not seem like a lot of saltwater is being removed, but it can add up over time. If you're replacing this water loss with freshwater when topping off the tank (or if you have an auto top-off), then over time the overall salinity drops. It's usually not a major change, but it's something you should definitely keep an eye on.