PDA

View Full Version : Can I keep normal light cycle while Mantis molts?

Mysterion
12/02/2009, 12:37 PM
I couldn't find any info about this possibly disturbing them but I just wanted to make sure that while my Wennerae molts that turning lights on and off won't stress it, its burrow is pretty sealed up so I wouldnt think it can see light but just want to be sure, thanks.

Oh and being that its full moon right now, is your mantis molting as well?

barnabus's gimp
12/02/2009, 01:13 PM
yeah both of mine are, also two large hermits are in one stage or another of the molt cycle... I didn't know until recently that having extra shells helps induce molting in hermits.

Nightwitch
12/02/2009, 01:26 PM
Mine just finished about two days ago. She never plugs up her burrow really. This time, she just grabbed a turbo snail and stuck him there, and then she molted sometime in the night. Today, she had shoved some excess pieces of herself out of her burrow, where she normally throws shells she's finished with, so I collected a real prize - her entire left arm. It's completely intact, including that little saddle-shaped spring. Really cool to see in action up close and personal.

Mentat
12/02/2009, 08:58 PM
Can I keep normal light cycle while Mantis molts?
Yes, only thing to refrain from is water changes or disturbing it's burrow.

Mysterion
12/02/2009, 10:36 PM
Yes, only thing to refrain from is water changes or disturbing it's burrow.

Cool thanks for answering, he came out tonight, so not sure he even molted.

DanInSD
12/03/2009, 12:46 PM
Yep, you should definitely alter the light cycle during molting. After all, mantis turn off the sun during their molts in the wild.

Dan

Thurge
12/03/2009, 04:30 PM
I wouldn't alter the light cycle.