PDA

View Full Version : starboard under sandbed-- detritus problem?

pdfb55
12/02/2009, 03:12 PM
When I initially set up my 120, it was BB with a starboard. I never sealed the starboard. Over a year ago I added about 3 inches of sand on top of the starboard. I can see a glimpse of the underneath of my starboard from the small gap near the overflow under the stand. It has a good amount of detritus. I've always had a little bit higher nutrients than I would like in the water. I have to blast my sandbed free of diatoms and cyano everyday, which is a pain considering a 180 I help manage at my school only needs blasted once a week or so. I run a fuge with RDSB as well with chaeto and caulerpa. My sump is cleaned of detritus regularly and my skimmer pulls out a good amount of gunk. Also my nitrates test low on a sera kit and I dont test phosphates as they always come out 0 in hobby kits. Should I consider removing the rock to take out the starboard, or just let it stay how it is?

pdfb55
12/02/2009, 09:31 PM
anyone?

lordofthereef
12/02/2009, 09:56 PM
Well, if you are having cyano issues, one problem is not enough flow which can be easily remedied. With proper flow you will not have cyano able to grow. That said, yes there can be detritus under there, although I am having trouble imagining how this is set up. Is the sand not covering it all or is the detritus just there from since you added the sand? It could also be an anaerobic area where bacteria is having a hayday.

marve467
12/03/2009, 12:07 PM
In my experience allowing detritus to be trapped anywhere is usually not good. Id say remove it

pdfb55
12/03/2009, 12:53 PM
picture a barebottom with starboard, and then 3 inches of sand is dumped on top. So the tank glass is on bottom, then the starboard (detritus is between the two), then the sand. You can no longer see the starboard. Also how I have cyano completely beats me because I have two vortech MP40s cranked all the way up and on reef crest mode. I would think it would be too much flow but it still holds on.