PDA

View Full Version : r/o setup question

arinova8
12/02/2009, 07:32 PM
i have my r/o system connected to a float valve, was wondering if its a good idea or if its ok to do so, if i split the line before it goes to the float valve and put a 'T' so i can still have the float valve option but also have a extra line that i could fill up a bucket with water when i need

any one have this setup or any idea that would be better?

Hamerhed
12/02/2009, 07:48 PM
I have a float valve and it works great but I also have a seperate reservoir of RO/DI water that is used for make up water that I fill up one a week or so. This way my RO/DI doesn't start up every time the float valve opens up.

I noticed that the water coming out of the RO membrane has a pretty high TDS reading for the first minute or so, something about crap creeping across when its not working. If you have no reservoir of makeup water this 'creep water' goes to your DI resin and prematurely ages it. I have a drinking water option on my unit so I can send this undesirable water to the sink instead of the DI resin.

You can also take the water from the reserve for other uses to (water changes) and not have to wait for your RO/DI to produce it.

arinova8
12/03/2009, 06:56 AM
anyone else with any input

Buckeye Hydro
12/04/2009, 04:25 AM
I'd need to hear a little more about your set up, but...

Remember that you don't want any RO-based system to frequently cycle on and off. So - useing the system twice a week for a couple of hours each time is much better than having the system kick on many times per day/every time your sump evaporates an 1/8" inch.

Russ