PDA

View Full Version : AHABS articles by Ron Shimek

hilgert
12/03/2009, 10:13 AM
I have just subscribed to Ron Shimek's AHABS articles and I have to say "WOW!!!". This is a series of detailed articles written by Ron a couple of years ago, complete with his "science with an attitude" style, making them worth it just for the entertainment value in addition to the actual scientific knowlege containted within.

If you have followed Ron's articles in RK and other places then you know the quality of his work...everything is very well documented and explained from both a science as well as a layman's angle whenever possible. If you are interested then there is a link HERE (http://www.ronshimek.com/ahabs.html) to his articles...I highly recommend them. If you save even one coral or fish as a result (much less an entire system), or can enhance your current system, it's worth it.

My opinion...interested in other opinions as well.

-Hilgert

Staceon
12/03/2009, 03:20 PM
I have not been around this site for a while...does Ron still post here on RC? He used to have his own seperate forum and it was great to get the feedback directly.

baja_01
12/03/2009, 03:21 PM
I think Ron and RC had a bit of a falling out with the whole DSB debate a few years ago.

ludnix
12/03/2009, 03:52 PM
I think Ron and RC had a bit of a falling out with the whole DSB debate a few years ago.

I'm sure there's more to it than that, but I have to admit, that sounds really funny.

BlueCorn
12/03/2009, 03:53 PM
I'm sure there's more to it than that

x50,000,000

hilgert
12/03/2009, 05:50 PM
Ron has a forum over on Marine Depot (http://forum.marinedepot.com). I am not aware of the why's or what's of the apparent departure of both Ron and Eric Borneman, just that I was happy I found them finally somewhere else. I like RC because of it's depth and breadth (there are a lot of folks here with experience), but I do miss Ron and Eric. I left the hobby for a few years (are, at least left the forums and just let my DSB tank run and take care of itself), and returned after moving households and needing to setup a new tank. Imagine my surprise when I could not find recent evidence of these two folks on RC.

Another thing I noticed (a bit OT for this thread, but somewhat realated to this post at least) is that RK Mag seems to have degraded a bit (IMO). Now (in the past week or so) it's gone to a "blog" instead of a magazine, there is no managing editor, etc. That could actually be a good thing in the long run I guess...we will see.

-Hilgert

hilgert
12/03/2009, 05:52 PM
I'm sure there's more to it than that

x50,000,000

How so? I've talked to Ron via phone a couple of times...seems pretty nice but I know he has "attitude"...

Eric? Same question...

Larry

BlueCorn
12/03/2009, 05:54 PM
The decision to leave was theirs to make. I have no intention of opening 4 year old wounds.