PDA

View Full Version : Blue hippo tang in a 75g tank???

lalo809
12/04/2009, 04:08 AM
I want a hippo tang but some people said is not big enough other said they do fine as long the tank is not overstock i would like to know what other people think and if you have any pics of your tangs in a 75 gallon show them please...thanks

PRDubois
12/04/2009, 04:14 AM
Get a small one and he will be fine for a long time. Just know upfront that when he finally grows to 6" you will need to give him to a bigger home. Then you can get another one and start all over.
http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss301/prdubois/72bow3-7-9.jpg

Deep Thief
12/04/2009, 07:37 AM
I agree, if you get one small it will be fine for quite some time. I do not subscribe to the theory of you must have a 6' tank in order to house a tang. A tang swims a long, long(read miles) way on the reef everyday, putting it in a 6' tank and putting it in a 3' tank is no different. You are still cramping it compared to the wild. Its what happens when you have a fish tank no matter the size.

If the tang is small, I mean like half dollar size, its all good till it grows and then it will take it quite some time. Fish tend to grow to their environment. Start small and in a small tank and they will tend to stay small for a long time.

I will probably get bashed for my opinion, its ok, I am a big boy and can take it. These are all just opinions, and you know what they say about opinions don't you. They are like a**holes, everyone has one, and they ALL stink. Cheers. Mark

potterjon
12/04/2009, 08:29 AM
I agree about the opinions. ha
I kept tangs in a 55 for awhile but I knew I was upgrading. It is fine with me as long as you are prepared to upgrade or give the fish away when it outgrows your tank. I was under the impression that a fish will outgrow a tank given the correct water parameters. When something stunts a fish's growth, it seems I have read it is alway linked to very high nitrates.

DC_40gallon
12/04/2009, 09:04 AM
I've got a hippo and a yellow tang in a 40 breeder. As stated above get them while they are young and 1-2 inches and your good for at least a year sometimes two.

Mine are happy as can be together.

Sisterlimonpot
12/04/2009, 09:08 AM
no don't give them away when they get bigger, it's an excuse to get a bigger tank!!! :D that's how I justified to the better half to get a bigger tank.

Mathfreak71
12/04/2009, 09:25 AM
I just recently picked one up for my 75. I was very hesitant but after reading posts by guys who have a lot more experience than I do. I bought a real small one (under an inch) from BlueZoo Aquatics. He spent a month in QT but now he is in my tank and doesn't even come close to swimming the full length of the tank most of the time. He seems happy, eats great, and is growing.

I am really glad I chose to get one.

Paul B
12/04/2009, 09:29 AM
He will be fine, don't worry about it. A 75 is fine for a hippo.

Chris27
12/04/2009, 09:31 AM
no don't give them away when they get bigger, it's an excuse to get a bigger tank!!! :D that's how I justified to the better half to get a bigger tank.

There you go - I used that excuse to get my tang's out of a 75 and into a 180! Hippo's are nuts in the head, so they are all over the place, but they don't swim like the yellow's, Naso's, PBlue, PBrown and some others. If it's small, have at it, but if cared for properly, they will grow fast - so get ready to upgrade soon - an extra benefit is that if you have a better half who loves the hippo - you are already one step closer to a bigger tank.

BongoSolo3
12/04/2009, 09:58 AM
How long will it take a baby (under 1 inch) to outgrow the tank? I have a 75 as well, and I'm wondering how long I would have to convince my wife we need the 180 if we got one.

Currently, I don't have any fish in my tank. Almost running for about 3 months, so I'm trying to make a game plan.

Sisterlimonpot
12/04/2009, 09:59 AM
Paul, I used to offer advice like this but I was met with tons of resistance and attacks from (dare I say it?) the tang police. So I just wait around for someone with more experience (no one more experienced than you) to suggest its ok. So let’s see if you get attacked.... :)

Sisterlimonpot
12/04/2009, 10:03 AM
How long will it take a baby (under 1 inch) to outgrow the tank? I have a 75 as well, and I'm wondering how long I would have to convince my wife we need the 180 if we got one.

Currently, I don't have any fish in my tank. Almost running for about 3 months, so I'm trying to make a game plan.the growth rate of fish very, so to give you an exact formula isn't going to work it can be as long as a few years or as little as 6 months. So start the subtle hints now so that when it's time your wife will be on board.

jason2459
12/04/2009, 10:32 AM

Must I remind you that you are NOT allowed in this section!!! :blown:

Sisterlimonpot
12/04/2009, 10:37 AM
Must I remind you that you are NOT allowed in this section!!! :blown:
If there was an "old to the hobby" forum he wouldn't come out of there. He wouldn't be allowed!! There’d be stray jackets in there as well.

inthesea
12/04/2009, 10:37 AM
Ya, you cant just give them away...lol. I would shut down my tank if my fish died. I had my hippo, naso(2 inches) and a purple tang in a 90. After a year, it gave me a reason to upgrade to 250.

reefsic
12/04/2009, 11:12 AM
I've successfully kept a 3" Hippo in my 60gal Reef, back in the day.

jbird69
12/04/2009, 11:21 AM
Its refreshing to see a thread like this. With all the, "no. you cant have that fish in that tank" On RC. The fact that the poster is even on RC asking for advise is proof this aquarist cares about the fish. Think about the % of tangs that get bought by folks that dont have a clue. The vast majority of tangs (and all fish for that matter) probably go to tanks that are inadequate...whether it be size or tank conditions. A concientious hobbyist can keep a tang happier in a 50 than a fool can in a 180. I believe that the hobbyists that actually want the best for the fish are a great minority.

quickgray02
12/04/2009, 11:55 AM
I agree just get a little one it should be fine!

Deep Thief
12/04/2009, 01:06 PM
Its refreshing to see a thread like this. With all the, "no. you cant have that fish in that tank" On RC.

Yea, I am kinda shocked myself. Guess I can take my flame suit off now:lol:

Sisterlimonpot
12/04/2009, 01:08 PM
It's all because of the presence of Paul B. :)

jason2459
12/04/2009, 01:23 PM
It's all because of the presence of Paul B. :)

Yep, and that's why he's not allowed to post in the New to the Hobby section. He's gives out false hope all the time. Like anyone would want to run a UGF filter anymore!! :strooper:

bsharding1982
12/04/2009, 01:23 PM
I currently have a blue hippo in a 150g that is about 7". He's really cool. His home is right in the center of my tank. He's such a powerful swimmer that is something spooks him the water really ripples when he flies behind the rock.

P.s I was looking for an excuse to post a pic of him :)

Sisterlimonpot
12/04/2009, 01:25 PM
I currently have a blue hippo in a 150g that is about 7". He's really cool. His home is right in the center of my tank. He's such a powerful swimmer that is something spooks him the water really ripples when he flies behind the rock.

P.s I was looking for an excuse to post a pic of him :)

7" that is a big beautiful fish. I've never seen them over 4 inches.

lordofthereef
12/04/2009, 01:30 PM
One word of warning if it grows and you DON'T end up upgrading to a bigger tank it will be a lot of fun to catch it with all of your rock work in there unless it is tame enough that it hangs out by your hand when fed and can quickly be netted ;)

Paul B
12/04/2009, 02:44 PM
Must I remind you that you are NOT allowed in this section!!

I am not allowed on many. I am running out of places to post. :dance:

Tang police never bother me. I have been keeping tangs and swimming with them for many years and I even know some of them by their first name.
Of course it is better to keep them in a larger tank, everyone knows that. In the sea tangs are long distance swimmers and go from reef to reef to scrape algae. They are also all schooling fish and in a tank will always be stressed because of it. Being in a small tank will also stress them.
We stress almost all of the animals we keep unless we can keep them in an ocean.
Unfortunately, when we entered this hobby we did not get the permission of the animals we want to keep. I am sure if they had a choice, they would have stayed in the sea.
People say we are killing fish if we keep them in a small tank, don't feed them properly, have the wrong parameters etc. and we do, but we are killing all of the fish we buy no matter what. None of them will ever contribute their genes back to the sea.
Everyone here who is breeding fish and putting the fry back into the sea, raise your hand. :rolleyes:

People say we make the fish suffer. I don't think so. I don't think fish think about anything because almost all fish are born for one purpose and that is to be eaten by something larger. A fish is an animal that never gets to die of old age (unless it is in a tank) 99.9% of them are eaten as soon as they are born, the rest are eaten somewhat later.
I eat fish almost every day and I am going out now for a fish dinner.
So I think an animal that was designed to be eaten before it gets very old would be an animal that does not feel pain. They feel something, but pain should not be built into an animal that will almost always be eaten alive.
I can elaborate on that but then the fish pain police will slime my house. :sad2:

Posts like this are probably the reason they don't want me on the Noob forum

Paul B
12/04/2009, 02:55 PM
How long will it take a baby (under 1 inch) to outgrow the tank? I have a 75 as well,
A hippo will never outgrow a 75 gallon tank. They seem to not grow as large as they do in the sea if you keep them in a smaller tank. My hippo is now about 5" and he is sort of old. From experience I know that he will stay that size even if he lives another ten years. I have seen them much larger in larger tanks and also in the sea but a hippo IMO will not outgrow a 75 gallon tank no matter how old he gets.
I also kept a few of them for years in a 40 gallon tank many years ago. That was considered a big tank then and they seemed fine. They grew about 4" and stayed there for years. I think I had one of them over ten years before I got the larger tank.
I never heard him complain and that was way before the tang police were invented.
But, yes, a bigger tank is better. I am not saying to purposely get the smallest tank you can and put in a tang. Also, this only works if you get the tang very small. I would not take any adult tang and put it in any size tank unless it was a public aquarium with a huge tank.

Mathfreak71
12/04/2009, 02:58 PM
I was very hesitant but after reading posts by guys who have a lot more experience than I do.

I was talking about Paul B. I just didn't want to call him out by name. So then he follows up my post. I should have just stayed out of the way and let him give the answer.

lalo809
12/04/2009, 05:30 PM
Ok thanks all of you guys for your answer and opinion ill try to find a small hippo but what if i cant find one is there another medium fish i can keep in a 75,my tank looks empty i only have 2pclown,cshrimp,yellow watchman goby and some corals

DC_40gallon
12/04/2009, 05:42 PM
Oh gosh lalo809 where to begin on fish!

Try a yellow tang, scissortail gobies are breathtaking to me (we have a mated pair), trigger's are wicked looking, lawnmower blenny is a fun fish because it doesn't swim, it scoots and kinda walks (they are a algae hog too!) there colors are vivid up close....

you should be able to get a small blue hippo tang though. Tell your LFS that you want one and want to watch it grow thus the small one and they should be able to order you one on their next order. If you don't have a LFS then check Petco as a last resort, they will special order fish as well and you only pay what they would normally charge in store, so you save all that shipping as well. They should get it to you within a week as well.

My LFS is about to order a dozen baby hippos and yellow tangs, they are super cute tiny.

Another HUGE incentive that no one seems to have mentioned yet is when you get them tiny small like that, just like a puppy, they will grow fond of you and you can train them for various things. It's amazing what people can do to their fish like tangs when they get them small. My peppermint shrimp will come out and climb my arm and jump in my hand when I put my arm in my tank. I can even hand feed him he is that trained.

Mathfreak71
12/04/2009, 06:31 PM
You won't have any problems finding a small one. You live in Indianapolis! You are lucky enough to have a great vendor close enough to be your LFS, Premium Aquatics! I wish I could just run over there anytime!

bsharding1982
12/04/2009, 06:44 PM
They happend to have a few last time I went there to. Real little guys. Also, the Reef have about 3-5 right now about 2".

Its funny for me to see them that small after seeing my big guy. They are a neat fish. I also have a yellow tang and would recommend on of those. They have alot of personallity.

jasoncampbell83
12/04/2009, 11:16 PM
Dont let my wife see this... I have her convinced that when we move this summer that we are getting a bigger tank just to get her a blue hippo tang... I think thats the only way I have her convinced we need a bigger one and that I need it in the wall in the basement with a fish room :)

Never had a blue hippo but if anyone has any special instructions to keeping them shoot me a message... I have experince with yellow tangs only. Thanks!

PRDubois
12/05/2009, 03:03 AM
Two whole pages and no tang police. I am very impressed the huggers have stayed away!

Mrbeachbum2
12/05/2009, 12:43 PM
How about three little blue tangs in a 75?

Toddrtrex
12/05/2009, 12:57 PM
Two whole pages and no tang police. I am very impressed the huggers have stayed away!

Was this post really needed? Really think you should think before you post sometimes.

IMO, I would never put 1 in a 75, let alone 3. I personally believe it isn't wise to put that tang in a 75 gallon tank.

Michael
12/05/2009, 01:04 PM
I was talking about Paul B. I just didn't want to call him out by name. So then he follows up my post. I should have just stayed out of the way and let him give the answer.

he doesnt know everything, well ok he knows everything,lol, always respect his advice, hey paul whats your lotto numbers for tonight:lol:

as for the answer, id suggest a minimum 90 gallons

Paul B
12/05/2009, 01:11 PM
well ok he knows everything

Nooo, don't go there. You would be amazed by the enormous amount of information, the volumns, that I don't know. I got a couple of corals, well one, in my tank now that is croaking and I have no idea why.
My tank is no where as nice as many on here, I just have a bigger mouth, or computer.
Besides, this is all just my opinion, nothing more.

I think, now your pushing it a little. Of course they would live and their growth would be stunted but I think you should be happy with the one.

DC_40gallon
12/05/2009, 01:25 PM
uh yeah that's pushing it!

I'm beyond pushing it with a baby yellow and a baby blue tang in a 40 breeder.

I get away with it because of 5-10 gallon water changes every 3-5 days, lots of hiding spots with 50 lbs live rock and when they get bigger I know I will have to let them go to a better bigger home.

flameangel9
12/05/2009, 02:01 PM
Now you did it.
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/maxximumaxx/tangpolice1.jpg
Joking this was my 75gal.
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/maxximumaxx/Picture404-2-1.jpg
I had 3 Tangs a small hippo, med. yellow and med.purple. They did great in there.

I did recently uprade to a 180 so I had to add a 3.5"Sohal.
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/maxximumaxx/Picture261-2.jpg

DC_40gallon
12/05/2009, 02:04 PM
SINNER SINNER!

:P That is a gorgeous setup! This proves what most of us have agreed that it can work, but it's in your hands as the tank keeper.

Toddrtrex
12/05/2009, 02:13 PM
SINNER SINNER!

:P That is a gorgeous setup! This proves what most of us have agreed that it can work, but it's in your hands as the tank keeper.

IMO, it only proves that it can work if the tank/fish are kept for multiple years. And I have a feeling that that sohal will turn very mean as it gets bigger and takes it out on the other tangs.

flameangel9
12/05/2009, 02:29 PM
IMO, it only proves that it can work if the tank/fish are kept for multiple years. And I have a feeling that that sohal will turn very mean as it gets bigger and takes it out on the other tangs.

Its RC's fault I have to look at that beautiful fish every time I log on. I've heard the rumors though I'll keep an eye on it. He's 3rd on the totem pole right now.
They say you can't have 3 tangs in a 75 so I did it. They said I couldn't mix angels, I have 3 dwarfs. They said I couldn't mix clowns I have 2 mated pairs that don't seem to even notice each other. Oh I mix wrasses too. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. There are methods of introduction, who's first, sizes etc. I will admit the Sohal is a concern but one for the future. My Yellow and Purple own him right now. They don't bother him but they don't take any crap either. My flame angel chases my 2 pygmy's but looks silly doing so they are too fast and they fit where he doesn't its rather entertaining.

jbird69
12/05/2009, 03:31 PM
ha-ha!! And the thread takes a new turn!

lalo809
12/06/2009, 12:44 AM
Thanks all i like your tank

ReefKeeper2009
12/06/2009, 01:04 AM
It seems like this a tang police free thread so i will chime in. I have a powder blue, purple, and a small sohal in my 90. Purple and Sohal are brand new but the powder blue has been in there for almost 2.5 years. I will be upgrading soon though. :fun2:

living_waters
12/22/2013, 04:13 AM
wow so happy i found this thread i just upgraded my tank just for my baby blue hippo and bought a whole new 75 setup from having a 36 bowfront i bought my blue hippo less than a inch and saved him from the lfs cause the next day i went back and all the other baby hippos had thier tails bitt off by a puffer they placed in with them and if i didnt say anything they would have left it in there my lfs puts all type of fish with others that dont comply so i convinced the step mom im 18 to let me upgrade by telling her dorie needed a bigger home so boy am i happy at least the 75 will be enough because no upgradeing for a while lol thanks!!!!

Joe0813
12/22/2013, 08:48 AM
i have a 180 with NO tangs in it YEEEET.... but my plan is a hippo, purple, naso and a kole or mimic lemon peel

blanden.adam
12/22/2013, 09:50 AM
wow so happy i found this thread i just upgraded my tank just for my baby blue hippo and bought a whole new 75 setup from having a 36 bowfront i bought my blue hippo less than a inch and saved him from the lfs cause the next day i went back and all the other baby hippos had thier tails bitt off by a puffer they placed in with them and if i didnt say anything they would have left it in there my lfs puts all type of fish with others that dont comply so i convinced the step mom im 18 to let me upgrade by telling her dorie needed a bigger home so boy am i happy at least the 75 will be enough because no upgradeing for a while lol thanks!!!!

Hey, glad you got the upgrade. 75 gallons is really a nice size to tank to work on. There are a lot of good options of fish to put in such a tank. However, I would caution you against the blue hippo. I'm not a proponent of strict tank size limits for tangs -- afterall, try as we might we are not providing the fish with an ideal environment because we cannot approximate the ocean in out little water boxes. But we should do our best. I think it's good to pay attention to the guidelines to at least give us an idea if we are providing our fish with what they need.

Just because you found a thread that has some people in it that say you can keep that fish in a 75 doesn't mean it's a good idea. You can get these fish small, but they grow real fast and get huge. Everyone on RC respects paulB, but time and again the idea that a fish will not outgrow it's tank has been demonstrated to be false. I also don't understand his assertion that fish don't feel pain or the resulting implications about what environment we should strive to provide for them. It seems really out of character for a guy who clearly takes such good care of his animals.

As always, it is your tank and you are free to do whatever you like with it, but by putting the blue hippo in a 75 I think you are setting yourself up for trouble down the road. Please note that the recommended tank size for a blue hippo tang by reef central is 240 gallons, 8 feet lengthwise. A 75 is ~1/3 that volume and 1/2 that length, so it's not even in the ballpark. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Calappidae
12/22/2013, 01:36 PM
Last I checked a blue tang grows to a foot in length and a 75 is only 4 foot..4 body lengths.. in a 1/2 second it's already on the other side of the tank struggling to turn around. I have got in arguements that a 125 is big enough when others were saying 250 gallons is more like it.. but I'll never even consiture a 75 for a hippo.

As far as buying the tang small saying you'll get rid of it when it outgrows the tank.. it is Typical for the adverage reefer to get attached to the fish.. say "eh better leave well enough alone" and keep the fish in the small tank at full grown size anyway.. I've done so with a sailfin in a 30 and boy did I regret it.

A yellow tang MAY live perfectly fine in a 75 but thats even cramming it a little IMO.

Also may I warn you guys what happens when the "tang police" meme goes around? I've received an infraction for just mentioning "tang police" in the past so I'd watch out if I were you..

on the spot
12/22/2013, 01:46 PM
Also may I warn you guys what happens when the "tang police" meme goes around? I've received an infraction for just mentioning "tang police" in the past so I'd watch out if I were you..

You were the first in 4 years in this thread. ;)

Calappidae
12/22/2013, 01:53 PM
You were the first in 4 years in this thread. ;)

Lol nice catch, This thread got returned from another recent post and I haven't noticed the date ;)

living_waters
12/22/2013, 03:18 PM
"on the spot"..... plus a million