PDA

View Full Version : filters/PH and feeding

cpittmx
12/04/2009, 10:56 AM
Do most people turn of sumps and PH while feeding? When I would drop food in it gets pushed into overlow box and away it goes. So I started turning off sump and PH while feeding. Just wanted to be sure this is ok.

photokid
12/04/2009, 10:59 AM
i leave my power head on but turn off my return for a hour.

Sisterlimonpot
12/04/2009, 11:02 AM
You're going to have 2 schools of thought on this, I turn all my pumps off during feeding to give all the inhabitants plenty of time to eat all the food. That way the current doesn't push food into a rock crevice where it will decompose and eventually elevate the nitrated. others allow the pumps to stay on.

cpittmx
12/04/2009, 11:17 AM
Ok, It seems like most things in this hobby are like those questions that I hated in school where there was really not right or wrong answer just opinions. I'm going to stay with off then it seems to make feeding easier for the fish and less food decomposing in my sump.

Sisterlimonpot
12/04/2009, 11:28 AM
Yep it boils down to hearing both sides of the story and doing what works best for you.

That’s what makes forums like this so valuable, you can make an educated decision.

NirvanaFan
12/04/2009, 11:30 AM
I turn off all my pumps. This lets me feed corals that take a little while to eat (LPS especially). I think less food goes to waste when I turn off the pumps.

IslandCrow
12/04/2009, 11:44 AM
I thought my clownfish was getting a little fat and lazy, so I started turning the powerheads back on to make her work for it:). Whatever you decide to do, I definitely agree with turning off your return so you're not losing food down the overflow, though.