PDA

View Full Version : New LR=Brown Sand

ANC
12/04/2009, 04:45 PM
I added like 15 lbs of LR into my tank a couple of weeks ago and I now have what I think are diatoms or detritus all over my sand bed. There was some hair algae growing out of the sand but I pulled it. Is this just a diatom outbreak or do I need to add more to my CUC to try an combat it? If I have to add to the CUC what do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

-Adam

BLKTANG
12/04/2009, 05:51 PM
thats the new LR cycling.It should go away.

ANC
12/04/2009, 10:15 PM
Could I add some cerith and nasurius snails to help with the problem?

BLKTANG
12/04/2009, 10:19 PM
wouldnt hurt.

sedor
12/04/2009, 10:22 PM
Its not really a problem. I would just let it run its course, its not going to stay long and you don't want an oversized CUC after there is nothing left to eat. Although if your CUC is already weak, then go ahead. For future reference it can be dangerous to add uncured LR to a tank because of the very reason you are talking about. It causes an ammonia spike which in turn can take out a tank. It did mine once...

ANC
12/05/2009, 08:50 AM
I thought I was buying fully cured rock. I bought it off a guy in my local area that had it in his tank for atleast a year. That is really y I thought it was detritus. I'm going to go ahead and add a few hermits and a couple more snails.

jflick345
12/05/2009, 08:52 AM
Any time you transport LR you'll have some kind of die off most likely, just depends on the degree. For instance, sponges on the rock are goners once they hit the air.