PDA

View Full Version : Tinkeri Butterflyfish Care

inktomi
12/04/2009, 09:19 PM
Hello folks!

I've been drooling over the Tinkeri Butterflyfish pairs that Live Aquaria has had on and off since I first started planning my tank a year ago. It's been up and running with rock since early september, and except for a recent mystery Ammonia spike (attributed to Evansi Anthias overfeeding) the water has been doing well. After adjusting down the feedings my parameters have returned to perfect within two days. I do a 30g water change every week, etc.

I recently picked up a 1/4 hp Tradewinds chiller to get the tank finalized for a Tinkeri pair.

What I'd like to know is whether or not there are specific concerns other than temperature with these fish. As they're rare-ish there isn't much specific information out there about them... but I've been reading as much as I can. They don't seem to be hard to maintain if you can keep the temperature down where they like it (my tank's at 72.5 right now, planning on dropping to 68).

I feed my tank twice a day with PE Mysis and Rod's Reef, with several cylops feedings in between for the anthias. I have a clownfish pair along with a single coral beauty angelfish in the tank as well. The Tinkeri pair are the last two "large fish" that I plan on putting into the tank.

What I'd like to know is simply if I'm ready to spend $900 on fish. Of course, even having to ask that question means that I'm not... but help me out here!

Am I right in assuming that these beautiful fish will do well on a generalized diet (similar to the Rods Reef / Mysis that I'm already feeding)? I've got a 150g mixed reef tank - but I'm perfectly ok with some minor nipping for these fish.

Any tips or links to reading material would be most appreciated!

flameangel88
12/04/2009, 09:40 PM
I don't think both are going to grow much more so tank size wise you should be fine and your temp is good. Just curious why you are dropping the temp down to 68 and not 72? I got one from DD a year ago around 5" and ate pretty much everything and can hold it's own before losing it to velvet. I generally feed twice a day and a snack before going to bed.

You should be good to go with your parameters...go for it and come back with pictures.

btw--like your tank with so much open space and the pair should have plenty of space to swim.

inktomi
12/04/2009, 09:55 PM
I've read that temperatures in the upper sixties were best for them so I was planning on having a yearly range from around 68 up to 74 or so in the summer.

inktomi
12/05/2009, 12:19 AM
My concern is that the tank has really only been up about three months, and perhaps isn't stable enough for touchy fish.

Is my reading correct - are Tinkeri hardy fish if kept at the right temperature?

flameangel88
12/05/2009, 06:21 AM
Temperature alone is not enough but a staple environment will certainly help a long way. I strongly recommend that you QT the pair for a month to make sure they are healthy and eating prepared food well before adding to the DT. Monitor your DT closely, perform your water parameter test and water change.

According to your fish list I don't see a problem for the Tinkeri pair that's about 5". I've a 5" female Maroon Clown and I see her defend her territory against smaller fish but don't see her go out of her way toward equal or bigger fish.

Every system is different especially the person that maintains them so I can't say the pair is a good fit for your tank other than what I can draw from your fish list and the parameters you've described which I don't foresee any problem. I can see problem with fish like a Mandarin that would only eat pods till they are trained to eat prepared food and some delicate angels that would only graze liverocks then it's imperative the tank must be established. I've not seen or come across posts that Tinkeri is a difficult fish to maintain. Ultimately you've to be comfortable with your addition and confident your system is able to handle them.

Yurivd
12/05/2009, 10:07 AM
do you think a Tinkeri will be fine with tang's and angels in a tank will thy feed fast enough

inktomi
12/05/2009, 11:02 AM
(more of a bump for the weekend crowd than an answer, but I'll try..)

From what I've been able to read, Tinkeri are pretty good at holding their own during feeding. They're also carnivores, so they won't be competing with tangs that eat mostly nori or similar algae, nor will they be competing directly with angels that eat mostly random unseen things from the rock since the Tinkeri will feed from the water column.

Yurivd
12/05/2009, 11:18 AM
are thy just hit and mis with corals
i want to make my tank sps mainly

inktomi
12/05/2009, 11:33 AM
Yes, they're hit and miss. I've seen several reports of them eating LPS, though none of them eating SPS - your fish might love it though.

For such a beautiful fish, I feel that Tinkeri are an acceptable risk in a reef tank. I bet they'll nibble at your SPS, but probably wouldn't kill anything.

(every fish is different)

Yurivd
12/05/2009, 11:51 AM
will you put them in a tank befor pigmy angels or after

inktomi
12/05/2009, 12:43 PM
I already have a pygmy angel in my 150, and am planning on a tinkeri pair at some point. As long as you have a decently sized tank, I don't think it'd matter - though pygmy angels are sometimes notorious for being bullies. I guess you could be safe any get the tinkeri first.

jmaneyapanda
12/05/2009, 01:08 PM
Heres a good video. I have a pair of Declevis, and the wander and sporadically pick, but dont do much damage. They, along with the wrought iron, love mesentarty filaments.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QDNTRmGrt-E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QDNTRmGrt-E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Yurivd
12/05/2009, 01:30 PM
my tank is 190gal i want to put in a collin angel and a joculator
what i have in my tank is a silver foxface and a gem tang