PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody tried magnets to hold the heater?

Feather Duster
12/05/2009, 10:49 AM
Common problem the suction cups stop working, and it is driving me up the wall.

I've been thinking about getting Zoo Med Magclip Magnetic Suction Cup but I saw somewhere somebody online said it kept their stuck on the "on" position, I'm not sure if that is really possible.

Has anybody tried these on their heaters?

eznet2u
12/05/2009, 10:54 AM
Not a good idea. You could possibly stick the heater into the on position.
Usually there is a little reed switch inside that turns it on and off. That reed switch is metal. The magnet would likely attract the reed into the closed position.

Feather Duster
12/05/2009, 02:31 PM
Too bad, I was really looking forward to getting the bloody heater back onto the glass.

Thanks for your reply, it would have been a terrible to try it and come home to a cooked tank.

lordofthereef
12/05/2009, 07:26 PM
You can always use a controller, which I feel everyone should use anyway with the failure rates of temp probes. You can use all the magnet you want in that case :)

Mako
12/05/2009, 10:02 PM
I use the Mag Clips for all my heaters, but I do use external control for the heaters. Been burned too many times trusting internal thermostats.

Peter Eichler
12/05/2009, 10:06 PM
I use them for my heaters as well with no issues. I do use a controller as well but they function normally without the controller.

insane
12/06/2009, 07:31 AM
You might try plastic cable tie mounts epoxied to the glass and then use cable ties (zip ties) to mount the heater to them. You wouldn't be able to move the heater around but I think it would keep it in place. You can get them at most home improvement stores in the electrical department. The mounts are usually black and about 1" square. Normally they are screwed down but marine epoxy for mounting frags would work. Just make sure you don't fill the holes with epoxy that the cable tie needs to run through when mounting it.

blasto_master
12/06/2009, 05:00 PM
Very bad idea mixing the magnet with the heater. Electric current and magnets don't go well together. I did that and had an under the water fire in my second reef tank. Really Really bad idea. Put the heater in the sump, overflow, or in the back of the tank where it won't be an eye sore.

Eel-byte
12/06/2009, 05:21 PM
I've been using the zoo meds on my ebo jager without any issues. This is used on my water change can.

Elysia
12/07/2009, 12:47 PM
I tried magnets w/ my heater, and it did stick on, without a doubt.