PDA

View Full Version : how to clean glass for new silicone????

robin coggan
12/05/2009, 05:00 PM
iam just wondering if there is something i can clean the glass with before i put the silicone on, there seems to be an oil from the silicone i used a razer blade and tried to scrape it off but no luck. can i use rubbing alcohol r something else?

thanks robin

WharfRat
12/05/2009, 05:15 PM
Rubbing alchohol

Mentat
12/05/2009, 05:21 PM
Acetone works.

robin coggan
12/05/2009, 05:26 PM
thanks whats acetone and where can i get it

Mentat
12/05/2009, 05:40 PM
thanks whats acetone and where can i get it
Acetone is an organic solvent used mostly for cleaning purposes in labs. Also, one of the ingredients in nail polish remover (do not use that). Check your local hardware, drugstore, or automotive stores. Don't forget to follow safety directions on container (gloves, etc.).

arnoldreef
12/05/2009, 09:00 PM
acetone is nail polish remover dont use that one!!!

scolley
12/05/2009, 10:09 PM
Sorry. Acetone does not work except for the the removal of the greasy residue left from a real cleaning.

I'm pretty sure there is nothing legally available in the US to consumers that can strip silicone. I.E. - solvents that will strip it away.

I've done a LOT of research on this topic, and tried most everything commercially available. My advice is as follows...

1) Get a paint scraping razor, and a lot of extra blades. Scrap off as much as you can with that. Changes blades often. When a fresh blade cannot remove any addtional silicone, move to step 2.
2) Get a Dremmel with one of the cloth buffing wheels. Use that to remove the remaining silicone down to a thin (almost oily/greasy) film.
3) THEN use the acetone to remove that film.

And finally, hit it with acetone again a few minutes before you apply the new silicone, just to make sure that glass is crystal clean.

Good luck.

GrampaDon
12/05/2009, 10:29 PM
Sorry. Acetone does not work except for the the removal of the greasy residue left from a real cleaning.

I'm pretty sure there is nothing legally available in the US to consumers that can strip silicone. I.E. - solvents that will strip it away.

I've done a LOT of research on this topic, and tried most everything commercially available. My advice is as follows...

1) Get a paint scraping razor, and a lot of extra blades. Scrap off as much as you can with that. Changes blades often. When a fresh blade cannot remove any addtional silicone, move to step 2.
2) Get a Dremmel with one of the cloth buffing wheels. Use that to remove the remaining silicone down to a thin (almost oily/greasy) film.
And finally, hit it with acetone again a few minutes before you apply the new silicone, just to make sure that glass is crystal clean.

Good luck.

^Exactly^
Plenty of fresh blades. Not really any short cuts here. GL

Mentat
12/05/2009, 11:32 PM
acetone is nail polish remover dont use that one!!!

Acetone is only a component of and not equal to nail polish remover.

Sorry. Acetone does not work except for the the removal of the greasy residue left from a real cleaning...

Removal of oily residue was Robin's first post question and I quote:
iam just wondering if there is something i can clean the glass with before i put the silicone on, there seems to be an oil from the silicone i used a razer blade and tried to scrape it off but no luck. can i use rubbing alcohol r something else? thanks robin

uncleof6
12/06/2009, 12:30 AM

Good luck.

Can't even argue with this. And reserve a day for it if it is a good sized tank.

Jim

scolley
12/06/2009, 05:52 AM
Removal of oily residue was Robin's first post question and I quote:

My apologies. I clearly missed that. You were right on target, and my correction was misplaced. Sorry about that. :)

robin coggan
12/06/2009, 06:02 AM
thank u for all of the help its all siliconed back together know, but for the reel test the water

Mentat
12/06/2009, 09:11 AM
My apologies. I clearly missed that. You were right on target, and my correction was misplaced. Sorry about that. :)
Thank you Scolley, the procedure you posted is a correct step by step silicone glue removal from start to finish.