PDA

View Full Version : Randy's Recipe 1 Soda Ash causing instant precipitation - advice please

Los
12/05/2009, 09:41 PM
In my roughly 600-700 gallon system, my alk is at 6.7 dkh (LaMotte) and my calcium is at 450 (tested twice, Salifert). I have a kalk reactor and a Deltec pf601s that puts out a stream of approx. 230 ml/minute with approx 1 large CO2 bubble per second.

I was trying to raise my alk, which I test regularly, and was surprised when I tested my calcium that it was so high. In order not to raise it further, I used some Soda Ash from Bulk Reef Supply: 6 teaspoons in 2 cups of water. When I started to pour in the soda ash mixture, it instantly turned from a clear liquid to cloudy and it appeared to precipitate out into small floaty bits.

Is this normal? What are the implications?

Thanks,

Los

Mako
12/05/2009, 10:08 PM
Normal. Usually the precipitate you are are seeing dissolves pretty quickly. A good reason why you should dose in a high flow area.

bertoni
12/05/2009, 11:08 PM
The cloud most likely is magnesium hydroxide. I agree that it's normal.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rhf/index.php#6

OwenInAZ
12/05/2009, 11:14 PM
Totally normal. Happens to me too. I dump the soda ash liquid right next to the intake for the return pump. That way it's about as high flow as it gets.

Los
12/06/2009, 08:17 AM
Thanks guys! This hobby would be impossible without the internet, ReefCentral, and folks like you willing to help out.

Mike O'Brien
12/06/2009, 02:55 PM
You can also dilute it with more fresh water before addition to reduce the precipitation. I've had some batches that were worse than others, but sometimes I would get the little globs. Most of the time it was more like a smoke look that dissolved quickly.