PDA

View Full Version : Are their any corals that like higher than average nitrates?

baldwinaquaman
12/06/2009, 12:09 AM
I want to get a couple corals for my FOWLR. I have great lighting, and I want the corals to be big, and not have retractable polyps for fear of algae growing on them hen they retract, any thoguhts?

Frick-n-Frags
12/06/2009, 12:18 AM
lagoon corals like maybe a leather..possibly xenia/anthelia might dig it. maybe zoos could tolerate it.

the more pristine reef type critter you get, the LESS it will like it.

skip gorgonians if algae is any issue at all.

edit: leathers can slough off a layer if they get too cruddy from their cruddy location, and they can get massive sized, even in home reefs

lordofthereef
12/06/2009, 12:21 AM
I bet zoas, start polyps, and basically everything you read about where it can "tale over if not kept under control" will probably do just fine. I will say when I have seen people with bad chemistries those are generally the last things to go LOL

baldwinaquaman
12/06/2009, 12:28 AM
well star polyps do have retractable polyps, so this won't work (don't ask me how I know) and also the leather I was originally looking at was a toadstool, however ive had one for about a week, and the polyps are retractable, and their not coming out, ive already had to clean the top witha toothbrush, so i really dont want anything with retractable polyps,any other suggestions?

jbird69
12/06/2009, 01:01 AM
Pretty much all polyps are retractable. A happy xenia will stay open most of the time. Same with a happy kenya. I have a fiji leather with fantastic polyps but they retract a couple times daily.

baldwinaquaman
12/06/2009, 01:03 AM
i ahve heard mixed reports on xenia.....are they hardy or not, some people simply say they will not live in their tanks....

luther1200
12/06/2009, 01:21 AM
Mushrooms don't have retractable polyps and are easy. I can't really think of any others that don't have retractable polyps.

baldwinaquaman
12/06/2009, 01:21 AM
what about colts?

luther1200
12/06/2009, 01:38 AM
If there happy there polyps will be out 90% of the time, but they do retract. Not so much retract as deflate really, llike a Kenys Tree. They fill with water and expand not really retract like a Start Polyp.