PDA

View Full Version : turbelle stream?

clownnrnd
04/12/2003, 05:51 PM
I am currently setting up a 30g. oceanic (20x18x20?). I was wondering if the 6000 system would work for me or if it would be to much water movement? I know they are hard to come by but if there is one thing this hobby can do for you that would have to be that it can teach you to be very patient.

rvitko
04/12/2003, 06:54 PM
I think a 7210 would be your best option- while a 6000 could be turned down low enough to possibly be suitable it would be a tricky thing to say for sure if this is going to be suitable. The pressure is very low and so if you reduce the volume the flow will not carry sufficiently. If you have the flow higher for it to carry sufficiently it will cause trouble where it hits the walls of the tank and moves the sand bed. The tank is also too narrow to make effective use of the Stream. You will have the same benefits from the 7210 as the flow outlet is also wide at 1" and you will get a great deal of turbulence by pulsing the pump, you can also turn it down to as little as 150gph. When you consider this think of the anology of a garden hose- 3/4" with your standard flow rate of city water supply you get a stream that shoots out 4' from the hose. Now imagine you had a 2" diameter hose and the same flow the water would just bubble out of the hose. I hope this explains why the stream will be inneffective at a low flow rate and why it is not possible to make one smaller.

clownnrnd
04/12/2003, 08:35 PM
Thanks for for the heads-up on the 7210. Checked it out on one of the online vendors, looks great. Maybe a 7210 system with a photocell :cool: Also what mounting hardware would be recomended for the oceanic tanks. Thank you for your help

rvitko
04/12/2003, 08:59 PM
I would get the 300.244 mounting set. Oceanic was a specific consideration on this set as they were they only company that was generous enough to send some trim to Tunze to design the set, so it works well with their tanks and they are even mentioned by name in the kit. Strange is it may seem I was at a loss to explain Amercian aquarium design to German engineers. The photo cell is a nice gadget. What trim color did you get? I really think that maple contrast set looks sharp, the cherry is nice, I have one of the 180 cherry tanks at home.

clownnrnd
04/12/2003, 09:59 PM
I got the maple :D. Thank you for all of your help placing the order should be a piece of cake. Are these things usually in stock at the online venders or should i expect some waiting time?
Thank you Again,
Chad

rvitko
04/13/2003, 07:35 AM
Fortunately I got a shipment of the 7200/2 last week and I have single controllers. In an effort to stream line production the 7210/2 as an all components in one box is being phased out and it is now shipped as seperate components. If they are out of stock they will be able to get one.