PDA

View Full Version : ro/di question

Chiefsurfer
12/07/2009, 12:29 PM
Hey guys, have been running my ro/di for the past few days. 1, to get the water needed to initially fill my tank, and 2, to make a batch that I will feed off for my water-changes, and another 5-gallon bucket for my top-offs.

My TDS meters are on there way and should be in in a day or two. My question is about the "dirty" water.

I am getting roughly 3 or 4:1 dirty: pure water. I am trying to figure out a way to make good use out of the dirty water. I am not going to drink it, as my tap is pretty bad to begin with. I have not tested it for tds, but I know it is very soft, and not great water(can easily taste it). So removing the pure water, IMO would make it that much worse. I do not have plants or anything to use it for. Can you "t" this water back into the infeed side of the unit to further "refine" the waste water? I am kinda worried about back-flow with that tho, because my incoming water pressure is VERY high, and the waste water is well....not. Is there a way to do this at all? Thanks for looking.

mcoomer
12/07/2009, 03:40 PM
I wouldn't run it through the system again. If you don't have a garden use it in the laundry, add some soap and wash your car, pour it onto dry spots in the yard; basically, use it anywhere you might use rainwater.

FranktheTankTx
12/07/2009, 03:45 PM
Or if you're like me, run it down the drain in your laundry room.

Chiefsurfer
12/07/2009, 07:29 PM
yeah, honestly I have a small apartment, and I do not have it "installed" anywhere right now. It just sits on top of my bathroom counter, and drains into my 20 gallon brute on the ground. Currently the waste is going right in the sink, down the drain.

BTW, got my tds meters(one in-line & one hand-held) showed up today. Water on the in-side is only 131 ppm, which to me seems like nothing compared to what I expected from it. So I can figure that with a 3:1 ratio, my watse out is roughly 390ppm. I would say that's probably not good to go back through the membrane again, so I'll just drain to my sink.

Mike31154
12/07/2009, 08:12 PM
I collect the waste water in a large drum, use in the garden in summer & toilet in winter. Since you have the unit in your bathroom already, you can at least catch a bucket or so of the waste and use it to flush the toilet for number 1 anyway.

Buckeye Hydro
12/08/2009, 05:45 AM
Water on the in-side is only 131 ppm, which to me seems like nothing compared to what I expected from it. So I can figure that with a 3:1 ratio, my watse out is roughly 390ppm. I would say that's probably not good to go back through the membrane again, so I'll just drain to my sink.

With your incoming water at 131 and a 3:1, your waste water should be at something around 175 ppm.

Russ