PDA

View Full Version : Carbon/MB7 dosing problems

JustinReef
12/07/2009, 02:33 PM
Just looking for some advice. I am not new to carbon dosing as I ran ZEO successfully for a while but I am new to Vodka dosing and it has not gone well at all so far.

-34G Solana
-Euro Reef Nano skimmer (one of the reasons I felt I could dose a carbon source because this skimmer is awesome. Nice to finally have a meshwheel skimmer for a nano)

Not going to get into the rest of the equipment since its probably irrelevant.

Before dosing my levels:

No3 - 5 (Elos)
Po4 - .05 - .08 (Elos)
Alk - 7
Ca - 380-400

Started dosing for a few reasons, one, I wanted to be able to add more fish and feed heavily. Two, I wanted to lower the No3. Three, my sps color was ok but not great...not like when I ran ZEO. I thought about trying ZEO again but I had no real good way of using a reactor and it was tempting to try vodka because of the price.

Started with only Vodka, no MB7. Started at .1 ml and got an immediate bloom. Stopped for a few days until it went away. Dosed again but hadn't tested Po4 (stupid). Few days went by at .1ml and all was fine. End of the first week, upped it to .2ml and got a bloom again. Stopped dosing again for a few days. Tested the water. So a week and a half after starting I got this:

No3 - 0 (Elos)
Po4 - .03 (Hanna)
Alk - 7 - 7.5 depending on the time of day...I dose two part manually for now.

Perfect right? maybe but I guess it happened too fast. Some of my corals got very light and I think started to bleach.

I really didn't want to stop completely so another week later, I am dosing still. Vodka at .05ml, MB7 two drops per day and Amino Acids about 2ml a day. I have been told the Brightwell AA are pretty much crap and you could probably dump the whole thing in the tank without problems because its so weak. So far I might agree with that. When I used ZEO AA, one extra drop and I knew as the glass would get a lot of film by the end of the day.

Anyways, not sure where to go from here. No improvement in the corals effected. Nutrient levels have stayed steady as far as I can tell.

I should mention that the corals effected are a few beautiful pieces from someones tank (they have a decent amount of nutrients in their tank although its gorgeous!) and were started to get a little pale even before dosing. The uneffected corals were all aqua-cultured from the LFS and are looking better and better as the dosing goes on.

I am assuming what happened was the aqua-cultured are more accustomed to very low nutrients while the ones from my friends tank are not. So while the aqua-cultured are getting happier, the friends colonies are dying off?

On last thing...sorry this got long. Can corals recover from bleaching? Or a better question might be how likely is it? Some parts have no polyp extension and actually look like the polyps have receded. Flesh is still there though, just very pale to white.

Any advice is welcomed!

JustinReef
12/07/2009, 02:43 PM
Here is a picture from a week or so ago. Sorry just a cell phone pic so the quality is bad...it's a little dark.

But the colony in the middle is the most effected. I have since fragged it a bit :(

Actually I think the color is nicer as it fade from the top down but in all the spots that are light blue, the polyps have receded. Still a little color, its not white but even more pale than in this picture.

But this gives you an idea of what I am talking about...

Some colonies are dying, some are dark, some are brown.

Its very confusing and hard to decide what to do when the corals are all responding so differently. If I go by that "pink" mille, then things are fine and it could really color up, if I go by the blue colony, things are terrible and I need to stop dosing maybe. The green mille seems to be happy no matter what I do :lol:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/IMG00142-20091129-2134.jpg

elijaher
12/07/2009, 04:03 PM
I may be wrong but it look like growth

JustinReef
12/07/2009, 04:16 PM
I may be wrong but it look like growth

No, the coral has stopped growing. It has only lost color starting from the tips down. After the color faded, the polyps started to disappear a few days later.

I don't know how to explain it but you know when a corals polyps are retracted but you can still see them a little or at least see some color? Well in this case, they are totally gone. Or so deep in the skeleton that I cannot see them.

I guess the one hope is that the flesh still seems to be on the corals. I don't think it has receded much other than maybe a few tips which I cut off.

I wish that were new growth! If that white area was new growth from two weeks time, I would be thrilled :dance:

But it's not :sad1: