PDA

View Full Version : Phosphate reactor???

dun2run
12/07/2009, 02:42 PM
Will a phosphate reactor help withe the diatoms I am having? The turbo snails are dealing with it completely on the rocks but my sand is beginning to look pretty rough. Any thoughts, I am not familiar with this equipment.

randycnunes
12/07/2009, 06:53 PM
I'm new at this, but having just gone through a diatom bloom I can tell you I changed a few things which I think helped 'solve' my problem.

- Changed flow
- reduced lighting period
- bought a BRS phospate reactor
- reduce the depth of my sand from 4" to 1"
- put algae in my refugium

Solved my problem in about 10 days.

The BRS Reactor with GFO seemed to play a pretty large role in dealing with it. I liked it, easy to set up with a good video online on how to operate.

beantown
12/08/2009, 12:01 AM
I just got a dual reactor to run GFO and Carbon. Within 3 days the water is as polished as I've ever seen.

Looks so good I want to drink some.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/08/2009, 08:28 AM
Is this a new tank?

Are you using tap water?

Yes, GFO can help deal with diatoms, but other options might be better to try first.

dun2run
12/08/2009, 02:15 PM
The tank has been running for 2 months. I'm doing regular water changes.
NO WAY IM USING TAP WATER. I am in the process of getting some powerheads so i can move more water. (yeah, yeah, I dont have any yet)

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/08/2009, 03:30 PM
GFO might be a fine plan, and I see little wrong in trying it, but new tanks often go through a diatom phase that runs its course after a while. :)

DT's_Reef
12/08/2009, 03:40 PM
I would also add to make certain your protein skimmer is running well, foaming consistently. Made a huge difference on my tank.