PDA

View Full Version : Reef "house cleaning" top list: Please add to the list

Montreal Ray
12/08/2009, 02:07 PM
Please help add to this list of reef inhabitants that will help out our tanks....

Snails: Graze on algae
Hermit Crabs: Graze an algae and leftovers
Brittle Stars: Great sand cleaners
Sand sifting gobies: Great sand cleaners
Peppermint shrimp: Eating aiptasia
Emerald crabs: Graze on algae

Any more to add to the list?

ChadTheSpike
12/08/2009, 02:24 PM
I think the list itself is good for some tanks, however, I think it should be slightly more specific (and the list should be modified slighty for what you plan on keeping in the tank, for example I do not trust crabs with my SHs):

Snails: Turbos, nerite, asteria snails are good for algae; nassarius are good for detritus
Hermits: usually the blue legged and red legged micro crabs are ok
Brittle stars: the light olive green ones (genus Ophiarachna) will eat small fish at night. The red/black brittle stars are usually ok.
Peppermint shrimp: Lysmata wurdemanni is ok, although they may tear feeding coral polyps open to get the food out (constant battle between me and the peppermints over the sun coral)

Just my .02

Montreal Ray
12/08/2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the reply and input ChadTheSpike!

If anyone with more knowledge than me would like to add specifics please do so.

Ray

luther1200
12/08/2009, 03:53 PM
Blennies, Tangs and other algae eating fish.

theyammieguy
12/08/2009, 04:15 PM
Im gonna catch hell for this but bristle worms.

ChadTheSpike
12/08/2009, 05:08 PM
Im gonna catch hell for this but bristle worms.

Thats actually a really good one... I think they are absolutely necessary!

Montreal Ray
12/08/2009, 06:33 PM
awesome, keep em coming plz!

theyammieguy
12/08/2009, 06:54 PM
A few snails and a ton of bristle worms are my only CUC. My LS is clean as heck. When the lights go out they go to work.

Felix T Cat
12/08/2009, 09:17 PM
I'll second fighting the peps when I target feed the LPS but at the same time I love having them in the tank.

iwishtofish
12/08/2009, 09:51 PM
Sand sifting gobies are extremely entertaining and do a wonderful job keeping the sand stirred, but I've read they can deplete your sandbed of microfauna. With them it's all or nothing!

Some people have had good luck with urchins (bulldozers that they are) eating algae that's unappealing to many other critters. I think some of them also have an appetite for coralline algae, though.

Chiefsurfer
12/08/2009, 09:53 PM
for a sand-sifter, I would suggest a sea cucumber. They plow through sand like none other. They LOVE detritus.

MrineLfRlz
12/08/2009, 10:03 PM
dont leave out the mexican turbos-algae
and fighting conch- detritus