PDA

View Full Version : New Osmolator crazy out of the box?

Seewolf
12/09/2009, 12:47 AM
I just installed a new osmolator in the sump of my new Elos Mini. The unit starts pumping but it does not stop until the high sensor kicks in and then it beeps.

Could this be a defective low/optical sensor? I am still adjusting the salt levels - could it be that the sensor only works in salt water above 1.2 salinity? I don't think that it would. Also the tank is still slightly cloudy.

I will check it again tomorrow when the salinity is adjusted.

Anything I can do to ensure that the unit works properly?

- S

phil519
12/09/2009, 01:37 AM
make sure there is nothing obstructing the optical sensor.

Also - how far apart is the float valve from the sensor? My oz would stop pumping way before it hits the high water mark.

anyways - i'm sure roger + gang can elaborate better than me.

Seewolf
12/09/2009, 09:17 AM
I used the little puck device and attached the two sensors into the predetermined slots.
Not sure what the difference in water level is but I think that it is at least 1/2 -3/4 inch.

rvitko
12/09/2009, 10:41 AM
While I can't rule out 100% that it is defective, the osmolator gets three separate quality control checks, one of the sensor, one of the board and one of the final assembly, so it is very rare for a new unit to be bad. We know it can happen that after the tests a wire breaks in packaging or uncured resin attacks the wiring, but these are not common problems. The most common scenario is that microbubbles cling to the sensor or even a film of air from when it is emersed because plastic is made of oil and further has a waxy film from the molding process so it repels water and attracts air. This solves itself in a few days exposure to water but a rinse of the optic sensor in hot soapy water will dramatically reduce or eliminate this problem immediately. The sensor cannot differentiate between a bubble and being out of water. New saltwater is usually cloudy because of suspended bubbles so this seems like the logical culprit. The salt level would have no bearing, the osmolator works in fresh or salt water. You could test it by just dipping the sensor in a coffee cup or soup bowl filled with clear tap water, but I would do the rinse first.

Seewolf
12/10/2009, 12:36 AM
Hi Roger - This sounds plausible. I will give it a try and report back in a couple of days.
- S

rvitko
12/10/2009, 11:33 AM
Keep me posted.

Runfrumu
12/13/2009, 10:07 AM
I had the same problem. The new plastic on the osmolator allows bubbles to stick to it, and when enough build up, it senses it's not in water and starts to fill. I moved mine to a different area of the sump where there weren't any mircobubbles.

Seewolf
12/17/2009, 12:20 AM
ok - problem is solved.
It was a bubble/break in problem.
A thorough de-greasing in soapy water (and rinse in DI water) plus I needed to find an area in the tank with absolutely no bubbles - works like a charm now.
Thanks Roger and Runfrumu!

rvitko
12/17/2009, 10:26 AM
Good to know! Thank you.