PDA

View Full Version : Poland Spring Water?

plateboy3293
12/09/2009, 12:07 PM
I was thinking about using poland spring water to start up my biocube 14. This would be the regular type not the distilled. I called the company and they said it goes through a filter system similar to the ro/di systems we use. Do you think this will have any harmful effects?

WharfRat
12/09/2009, 12:12 PM
You can get ro water from most LFS and a bunch of super markets. I'd do that before spending money on bottled water.

billdogg
12/09/2009, 12:20 PM
Although I can't speak for poland springs, I have been through the Magnetic Springs plant here in columbus. They bring in city water, run it through a sediment and a charcoal filter, botlle it, and ship it. If it were me, I would just consider a ro/di unit as part of the startup costs of a new system. Buying (and lugging around) water will get old VERY quickly.

plateboy3293
12/09/2009, 12:21 PM
But the poland spring water would be safe for fish and coral at the moment right

hilltopfarms
12/09/2009, 12:26 PM
But the poland spring water would be safe for fish and coral at the moment right

You'd have to test it or have it tested to be sure. If it were just fish I would lean towards yes assuming the absence of chlorine but coral's a whole different ballgame.

WharfRat
12/09/2009, 12:34 PM
Get a 5 gallon container and head to the nearest LFS and buy 5 gallons of RO/DI water for maybe 2 dollars if that and ask them to show you a TDS meter reading of the water so you know its clean. Plus you get to reuse the 5 gallon container and not throw away 24 plastic bottles and a cardboard box and plastic wrap.

Financial Panth
12/09/2009, 12:37 PM
I would check the water with a TDS meter. Ive done it in the past with numerous water bottle and almost none of them were under 30.

garzaci
12/09/2009, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't chance it. The water is probably good for human consumption, but probably not for fish. I don't understand where people think its ok to use anything but the best water they can get. Imagine if some one switched our air with a concentration of poisons but leaving just enough oxygen for us to survive. It would be a pretty horrible life.

mudvaine_k
05/14/2013, 05:46 PM
I wouldn't chance it. The water is probably good for human consumption, but probably not for fish. I don't understand where people think its ok to use anything but the best water they can get. Imagine if some one switched our air with a concentration of poisons but leaving just enough oxygen for us to survive. It would be a pretty horrible life.

It's funny you mention that, since it is actually happening, the air we breathe is filled with poisons and it has just enough oxygen for us to survive lol.

garzaci
05/14/2013, 05:56 PM
I'm surprised you found this post almost 4 years later.