PDA

View Full Version : New Build: Need some advice

moevilla
12/09/2009, 01:16 PM
Starting a new 40 gallon (breeder) build. I will be transferring rock and corals from my 25 gallon cube. Also using the existing skimmer (Remora C) and light (Coralife Aqualight HQI Pendant - 150W). Setting up new 20 gallon fuge. Need some help, though...

1. How do you all keep sand so clean? Considering minimal sand (up to 1 inch)

2. How much flow (Tank will be mostyl SPS - thinking 1800-2000gph; 2 Koralia 3s)?

3. Will 150w metal halide work for now (plan on upgrading)?

4. Cheap alternative to a wavemaker? Heard someone mention timer/powerstrip that you can buy at Home Depot. Will it work with Koralia 3s?

5. Want to paint the back of tank dark blue. Pros/cons?

I plan on starting the build tonight. Building the stand and possibly mixing the salt water. I'll be taking pictures of each step and posting them if anyone is interested. Thanks all for your input.

ChadTheSpike
12/09/2009, 01:43 PM
1) sand sifting gobies like a diamond goby do a great job, but also stirring and having a good CUC will do this.

2) your two koralia 3s should do just fine

3) 150w MH will work, but something to think about: most 250w MHs have a separate ballast from the fixture, which means there is less heat in the fixture, meaning longer life of fixture components and (depending on how you have it set up) there could be less heat input to your tank. Plus, if you start out by planning to upgrade, you will be spending more money in the long term.

4) You can do the timer at HD, but it is very hard on most pumps to do the start stop cycle constantly (Im not sure how koralias handle it), a cheap alternative (costs around $25 or less to make) is a surge device using a toilet flapper valve and a float.

5) Pros, you cant see through your tank, so it hides stuff behind your tank well, and also will hide film algae well so you wont have to keep it clean. Cons, it is a dark color meaning that micro feather dusters and coraline algae will show up very well on it.

Good luck!!

xxjdmcivicek9xx
12/09/2009, 01:56 PM
Starting a new 40 gallon (breeder) build. I will be transferring rock and corals from my 25 gallon cube. Also using the existing skimmer (Remora C) and light (Coralife Aqualight HQI Pendant - 150W). Setting up new 20 gallon fuge. Need some help, though...

2. How much flow (Tank will be mostyl SPS - thinking 1800-2000gph; 2 Koralia 3s)?

4. Cheap alternative to a wavemaker?Heard someone mention timer/powerstrip that you can buy at Home Depot. Will it work with Koralia 3s?

I plan on starting the build tonight. Building the stand and possibly mixing the salt water. I'll be taking pictures of each step and posting them if anyone is interested. Thanks all for your input.

i use a turkey baster to blow the sand every couple days, just dont stir to much up at a time. also a couple nassarius snails for your size of aquarium

that should be plenty of flow, will you have a sump??if yes, calculate in return pump GPH. if not either 2 k3 or 1 k5

that should be just fine unless you want actinics.

4. Cheap alternative to a wavemaker?Heard someone mention timer/powerstrip that you can buy at Home Depot. Will it work with Koralia 3s?
i forget what its called but theres a controller thats used for DJ equipments that people have boughten to run there powerheads because the adjustment settings are very good. someone on here did a writeup about it.

i like painting the back over using a background. krylon fusion is your friend!!