PDA

View Full Version : Clean Up Crew for a 65gallon

jayhawk317
12/09/2009, 02:12 PM
am wanting to order my cleanup crew soon and was wanting everyones opinion on what and how many i should get of everything. im going to order it from liveaquaria unless someone has a better recommendation on an online place to order.

Nerd1717
12/09/2009, 02:28 PM
I went to my LFS and purchased individually more or less the same thing that comes in their package. The do come with hermits in them and emerald crabs in them (I believe) and have heard of people having problems with both, although I have both and had not had any problems (yet).

For a 50 gallon I have

~10 Hermits
~10 Margarita Snails
3 Mexican Turbo Snails
1 Emerald Crab
1 Peppermint Shrimp

and have considered getting a few more smaller snails of a different type just to have a variety, and because I feel that a typical number is larger than this, but as of yet I haven't had any excessive algae growth problems.

The only thing I would be careful about is adding all that bioload at once.... snails and hermits tend to be hard and dont have much of a bioload...... but I would be cautious still adding a lot of things at once, and would wait a while on any shrimp.

Patroklos
12/09/2009, 02:37 PM
The original CUC for my 65gal reef was:

1 black brittle star
2 halloween hermits
2 electric blue hermits
4 zebra hermits
4 blue leg hermits
1 skunk cleaner shimp
1 fire shimp
1 fighting conch
5 astrea snails
10 nasarius snails.

I have since lost the astreas and my tank does not miss them.

godiver908
12/09/2009, 03:00 PM
Every time I get astrea snails they seem to become empty shells within 2-3 months while most other types seem to have no problems. Any reason for this?