PDA

View Full Version : **Help! Clam Dying!**

Elan L.
12/09/2009, 03:13 PM
Hey guys, i have 3 clams in my reef (2 maxima, 1 corcea). My two maximas are doing great and i have only seen growth with them. Same thing for my corcea until yesterday. It is about 5''. It started to receed yesterday and even more today. The thing is that the shell remains open which make me think it is dying. Clam is maybe an inch below shell and when i pic it up there is a pocket where i can see straight through (foot is not covering the whole bottom). I have never had trouble with clams before and have had this one for 5 months already.

Is there anyway i can save it?

Here are my parameters. I keep sps and my other clams easily.

Calc: 440
dkh: 9-10
Mag: 1250-1300
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: here is where the problem may be. About a month ago my phosphates went up to 0.5 but since then i have been doing weekly 30% water changes and precipitating phosphate with the brightwell and salifert additives and of course continued to run GFO. It is hard to get a good understanding of p04 with the test kit but i would say 0.1 or 0.2

Thanks Elan

moliken
12/09/2009, 04:05 PM
what color is the gfo? black or brown is very bad for clams, white is fine. i use phosban--white
are u running carbon?
pic will help if possible

Elan L.
12/09/2009, 05:35 PM
black or brown gfo?? I dont think it is possible for it too be white. Yes i run carbon. Ill put a pic in a few.