PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations?

zimmy1979
12/09/2009, 05:05 PM
Hi All,

I currently have a 28G HQI NC that I love but unfortunately it just can't hold any more corals or fish (it is packed) and I am either throwing away corals, trading them in, or giving to friends because things are growing out of control (btw Xenia is a PITA). I am now looking to expand my hobby (with wife approval of course :) ) and getting a nice tank and doing maybe a FO (maybe an eel, or dwarf lionfish) or FOWLR (and some simple corals from my main tank). I am looking for something between 10-20 gallons that is easy to maintain, ideally an AIO solution and maybe has halides (PC is fine I guess). Any recommendations? I want to keep the price under $500 and it would be nice if the tank cost around $300. Let me know. Thanks for all the help.

Paul

zimmy1979
12/09/2009, 06:12 PM
Hmm..been looking around and I found a Cadlights 12G tank w/ refugium for $175. Any thoughts on this tank?

*Tank dimensions: (L)15" x (W)15" x (H)13"
*Full sized 3-chambers refugium dimensions: (L)14.5" x (W)3" x (H)12.5"
*90 degree hinged light mount.
*(2) 8W 10,000K and (2) 8W Actinic blues.
* German polished Aluminum individual reflectors that double the light output
*2 independent manual switches.
*Glass canopy optional.
*Now with Loc-line bulk-head fitting set for wavemaker compatibility and directional flow.

http://www.cadlights.com/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=117

yongpanda
12/09/2009, 06:31 PM
I'm not sure how you're going to keep an eel in such a small tank unless you're going dwarf eels.

zimmy1979
12/09/2009, 06:49 PM
I'm not sure how you're going to keep an eel in such a small tank unless you're going dwarf eels.

Yea I think you are right. I will probably do a fuzzy dwarf lionfish.

sedor
12/09/2009, 07:00 PM
Since you already have a nano, I think you would appreciate a bit of a larger tank as opposed to another nano. Although, this will take you pretty close to your budget limit. I'd probably start by getting something like a 40 breeder and doing a lot of DIY work such as the stand canopy. Maybe try and find some deals on used equipment to keep the costs down. Just my 0.02.

MVlk
12/09/2009, 07:20 PM
There are a lot of good deals on used stuff with so many getting out. I'd look around and go larger like sedor recommended. You could probably get a decent 90 ish setup within your range. If you are just doing FOWLR, you do not even need the skimmer and top quality lights that usually push the price up. You mentioned FO as well. IMO, do not do this. The live rock is your very best primary filtration.

Arkayology
12/09/2009, 07:26 PM
I wouldn't keep a fuzzy dwarf lion in anything smaller then a 20L, but that is just me. They are recommended for 30g.

Chiefsurfer
12/09/2009, 08:52 PM
I hope you can offer deals here. I have an unused CoraLife 48" PC fixture. It is about 9 months old, and in very good condition. It has 2 10,000K 24W(?) bulbs, and 2 actinic 24w bulbs. It also has moon-light LED's(4 or 6). I am checking with my buddy now(who has been using them for about 6 months) just to make sure he doesn't want to buy them. I have been letting him use them for his FOWLR tank. If he doesn't want to buy them, I would take $100 for the fixture, and you pay shipping, whatever method you want.

IMO, if you are going FOWLR with a FEW low light corals, PC's should do you just fine. I know they fit a 55, and thing a 65 and 75 if you wanted to go larger. You could probably find a 55-75 for about $150 online used. Only other things might be a skimmer if you so desire, and you could I am sure, get away with a cheaper one. That's well within your budget.

zimmy1979
12/10/2009, 01:14 PM
Hmm..I actually had a 60G w/sump and calc reactor up for a few years when I was living with my parents. I took it down since I moved in with my wife into an apartment on the second floor. I had to move my 28G NC which was plenty of work (I couldn't imagine moving a 60G + Sump + stand) so I tore it down and sold off the corals and rock and it is now sitting with all equipment in their garage. I just want another easy to move and maintain tank that will allow me to at least have something new to play with since my current tank is filled to the rim. I am looking at a Finnex or Cadlights tank for now. I like the Finnex 20G but it is Acrylic and I am not sure if Acrylic is the avenue I want to take (I hear horror stories about scratches).

Chiefsurfer
12/10/2009, 02:03 PM
just don't use a stiff-bristled brush. I got a brush from I want to say A&P, or probably at any food market with a small cleaning section, and it has SUPER_SOFT bristles. Just brushed my LR with it, didn't even rip off little fuzzy-like algaes.

Target also had those 4"x4" brushes like for your car(also smaller) that are dark blue 2/3 of the way, and then light blue from there to the end. Those brushes are super soft. If you use anything stiff-bristled, yes it will scratch the crap out of it.

My mom cleaned her tank with scotchbrite. It was just a little 5-gallon guppy tank for the kitchen, now it looks like you are looking through frosted glass.

zimmy1979
12/10/2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the tip. Maybe I will do the Finnex tank then. I do like how clear Acrylic is.

MVlk
12/10/2009, 06:25 PM
A Solana 34 comes with Sapphire glass and is very clear. ;) I am not biased or anything. :)