PDA

View Full Version : another DIY reflector

rnhrtfan
12/09/2009, 07:44 PM
what do you think?????

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg39/rnhrtfan/PC090064.jpg

TRBOFISH
12/09/2009, 08:16 PM
Nice, what are the dimensions. Also what did you use for material?

rnhrtfan
12/09/2009, 08:34 PM
14.5" square x 6" diam. at the top x 6" tall cut out of 22 guage polished stainless steel... basically the same size as the lumenarc mini only a square to round shape rather than a square to hex...

TRBOFISH
12/09/2009, 10:03 PM
how much light do you think it will put into the tank? Do you have any reflectivity specs on the polished stainless?

T Man
12/09/2009, 11:25 PM
Stainless steel does not dissipate heat as efficiently as aluminum, the end result being hotspots. T

troylee
12/09/2009, 11:57 PM
nice design but get some polished aluminum next time...you'll see when you fire that thing up it's not nearly as bright as polished aluminum...i tried the same thing....besides it's alot easier to make it out of aluminum..stainless sucks....
hth..:)

snowman82
12/10/2009, 06:31 PM
stainless rusts

lordofthereef
12/10/2009, 07:00 PM
Did you come up with this yourself or did you "copy" the design of some of the name brands? I ask because I have never seen the specific shape (ie circular center)

jimzin15754
12/10/2009, 07:47 PM
Getting off track here a little but good quality stainless does not rust. I would recomend 316 ss for marine purposes. HOWEVER using carbon steel tools ( shears, drills, hammer, pliers etc.) with leave deposits that will corrode. Passivation will remove these but the easier way to go is not using them at all. Best solution is to have your blank shape cut out by laser or water jet. There are lots of sheet metal places using these now and getting a blank cut shouldnt be a big deal. Once you have your blank use wood blocks and rubber or plastic hammer to do the forming work.

skanderson
12/10/2009, 09:24 PM
most any steel will rust if given the right conditions. if you want to make something rust put it near water, salt, heat, humidity, and if possible some salty spray every now and then. all my surgical instruments are high grade stainless and they rust if they are not treated right. i bet if i put one over my tank it would rust within a year. but i like the design i just wonder how effective it is. would be nice to get some par reading on your reflector.

noobtothereef
01/20/2010, 10:56 AM
stainless rusts

only 400 series stainless rusts, and mirror polishes stainless is 300 series, most likely 304, which does not have any iron in it, its non magnetic and will nut rust, i dont think they make any 400 series(magnetic from iron content) in sheet form, stainless steel is a non ferrous metal....... hence the name "stainless" if you have stainless that rusts its 400 series and is junk... ho do you think that the health department makes it mandatory in commercial kitchens to use stainless, its everywhere in kitchens with a bare stainless finish.......no rust...... with water and moisture on it non stop......

noobtothereef
01/20/2010, 03:01 PM
most any steel will rust if given the right conditions. if you want to make something rust put it near water, salt, heat, humidity, and if possible some salty spray every now and then. all my surgical instruments are high grade stainless and they rust if they are not treated right. i bet if i put one over my tank it would rust within a year. but i like the design i just wonder how effective it is. would be nice to get some par reading on your reflector.

the only way for something to rust is that it MUST have iron in it, 304 and 316 stainless has 0 iron content and cannot and will not rust, no ifs ands or buts, its impossible, thats like saying you can walk to the moon, if your tools are rusting that means they are a cast 400 series stainless and definatley not top of the line

noobtothereef
01/20/2010, 03:06 PM
heres a link that tells all about stainless, http://www.ssina.com/faq/index.html