PDA

View Full Version : clown has white bumps

Arkayology
12/09/2009, 11:55 PM
My clown I got two weeks ago has developed raised white spots on his fins and on his gill slit. I am not sure what it is as I can't find any pics that make me think it is a certain ailment. He swims normal, eats normal and is not gasping for breath. Not sure what to make of it. I don't think it is ich or brook.

What do you think? If it was fungus, he would dead by now right?

rudyretama
12/10/2009, 01:41 AM
this could be microbacterium.... if the ulser is pinkish white it most likely is.... microbacterium is NASTY STUFF!!! do not under any circumstances put ur hand in the water with microbacterium because the tinyest cut will infect you and it is a NASTY SIGHT!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-fN2DAFK70&feature=related

Arkayology
12/10/2009, 02:04 AM
The bumps seem to be just a cloudy white color. I hope it isn't a mycobacterium as I have had my hand in the tank a lot in the past week.

RBU1
12/10/2009, 06:30 AM
Looks to me to be lymphnosis (sp)??? Will go away on its own.

Ohiomom
12/10/2009, 08:07 AM
lymphocytis...stress/water quality related..check parameters and improve if needed and feed variety and it should improve..

landlord
12/10/2009, 08:30 AM
^ x2 ^

Arkayology
12/10/2009, 03:18 PM
Alright, I was leaning towards that but wanted second opinions. Soaking the mysis shrimp I have for the clown in garlic will help boost its immune system right?

Thanks.

Arkayology
12/10/2009, 08:26 PM
also, is it imperative that I get the fish into a QT tank even though there are no treatments for it? He is the only fish in the tank atm. From what I have read, the virus seems to only effect fish of the same or similar species. I am thinking about getting a firefish. Should I wait a month or two before adding any more fish?

I am just looking for opinions here.

landlord
12/11/2009, 05:25 AM
I never QT'ed when my male Tomato Clown got it. Simply couldn't catch him. With time it went away. I just kept the maintenance routine going. No special treatments were needed. I just varied up his food for awhile. He pulled through with no ill effects.

Ohiomom
12/11/2009, 09:52 AM
Nope I never did a QT tank for that..my yellow tang gets it everytime I add something new to the tank..it goes away and he is the only one ever affected..

Arkayology
12/11/2009, 10:49 PM
I tried scraping the stuff off and all I managed to do is freak my fish out. I guess I will have to just wait it out. Also, does it take time for the fish to warm up to garlic on its food? I tried adding it today and the clown wouldnt eat any of the mysis that it previously loved.

Ohiomom
12/12/2009, 09:18 AM
I tried scraping the stuff off and all I managed to do is freak my fish out. I guess I will have to just wait it out. Also, does it take time for the fish to warm up to garlic on its food? I tried adding it today and the clown wouldnt eat any of the mysis that it previously loved.

Just an fyi..wouldn't try to scrape it off again..will cause more harm than good..my fish won't eat any food with added garlic so don't know the answer to that, I gave up on it after about a week..just vary the diet and it will do well..

Arkayology
12/18/2009, 08:19 PM
Update on the clown, any ideas? I still am not convinced it is lympho.

sixtygallon212
12/18/2009, 09:55 PM
Matt, it looks to be lymphocystis or some type of fungal disease. It doesn't look like microbacteriosis in those pictures. I see this a lot on clownfish. I would dip him in hydroplex. Do about one once hydroplex in 2 cups water for 6 to ten minutes every other day until you see it gone. Try your best not to stress the fish, it helps to put a paper towel over the cup. GOOD LUCK!

Diablo4
12/19/2009, 03:06 AM
I can't get past the visuals of. " I tried to scrape it but it wasn't working out " lol

Arkayology
12/19/2009, 01:33 PM
I can't get past the visuals of. " I tried to scrape it but it wasn't working out " lol

Well, the biggest bulge is on his gill slit. I didn't want it to start to interfere with his respiration, so I netted him and took a pair of tweezers to see if it was some sort of mucus or whatnot. Safe to say, I wasn't going to use a ton of force when I found it wouldn't come off easy.

It is sorta funny now that I think about it though.

Arkayology
12/21/2009, 03:50 AM
I did the hydroplex dip today and about 6 hours later the lumps just fell off. I thought my clown was going to die for awhile (he didn't like the dip one bit) but the lumps are gone. Good call on the Hydroplex.