PDA

View Full Version : can i see some pics of internal overflows covered with coral

cec09
12/10/2009, 08:40 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have a 90 gal aga reef ready aquarium. its been set up for about 3 years now and my internal overflow is really starting to bug me. i love my aquascape now so i dont really want to tear down the tank and get one and drill it. it may be an option later but want to try this first. my thoght was to try and make it look like a pillar covered with coral. my tank is all lps and a couple softies. i was thinking about maybe puting some monti caps and possibly some other lower light sps on it. if there are any pics out there please share.
this is pretty much how it looks except for the sinularia in the middle has been moved to the right side
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj36/jck09/DSCN1356-1.jpg

scbadiver
12/10/2009, 08:50 AM
Here is mine. I used rocks glued first and then put stuff on them. It will have been in there for a year in April.

mayjong
12/10/2009, 09:05 AM
what did you use to glue those rocks? also, did you do it "wet" or prior to adding water to the tank?
thanks!

scbadiver
12/10/2009, 09:25 AM
I cut them with a wet saw so the backs are flat and used Devcon 30 minute epoxy to glue them to a thin plexi sheet and then foamed and then dropped it into the tank. The rock was some old live rock I had laying. It was very dead and dry but has repopulated quickly

phobos2deimos
12/10/2009, 09:30 AM
Just tagging along. Looks cool Robbie.

cec09
12/10/2009, 11:47 AM
looks awesome scbadiver. thats the look im going for. do you think i would be able to superglue rocks to the overflow while there is water in the tank? i wouldnt use any foam but i think it should still look pretty good if they will stay put.

scbadiver
12/10/2009, 11:53 AM
Well, I've been trying to re-attach one rock I knocked off and have had no luck underwater at all, so far. This was the original reason I made the "panels" to drop in on both sides. I didn't want to drain and dry, I'm lazy! :)

phobos2deimos
12/10/2009, 12:36 PM
The foam was able to attach the plexi to the glass while underwater?

Was it just pond foam?

scbadiver
12/10/2009, 01:04 PM
No, I glued some small plexi tabs on the sheet and put nylon zip ties on them. As this is an overflow in the center of the tank, I made a panel, complete, foam and all, for each side, dropped it in and then tied them to eachother across the over flow. does that make any sense? I can make it but tough to explain it sometimes. Maybe I could find more pictures.

mayjong
12/10/2009, 02:19 PM
thanks!
what is this "foam" you speak of?
sorry, i'm a newb!
also would Devcon 30 minute epoxy hold live rock together (for stacking?) ?
i'm looking to do some aquascaping myself!

thanks a million

phobos2deimos
12/10/2009, 05:10 PM
Makes sense. Good way to get around the glue issue.

Thanks!

scbadiver
12/11/2009, 10:12 AM
The Devcon will only work on dry rock but yes, it is suppossed to be completely waterproof after it hardnens. The foam I used was the Great Stuff, minimal expanding stuff, in the blue can. I worked quickly. Sprayed it in small areas between the rocks and then imediately sprinkled dry sand on it and worked it how I wanted it by hand (wear gloves or you'll wear the stuff for weeks!).