PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for GFO and Carbon?

jb61264
12/10/2009, 01:07 PM
I have a 75 gallon mixed reef with a 55 gallon sump. Sump is three sections..overflow to skimmer section then over/under/over flow to middle return section...then I "T" off my return pump to feed a refugium section where I have a shallow sand bed with some hermits, a brittle star and most importantly have some chaeto (which grows like a weed). When I designed the "T" to feed the refugium, I included two gate valve "T"s on that feed in case I wanted to add a reactor some day...they are just plugged for now.

Tank has been running great for 6 months now...great coral growth and stability...no algae problems at all...until the last couple weeks I noticed a small area on a piece of rock that was getting some hair algae...so, is it time to add a reactor and run some GFO and Carbon? I was looking at the Bulk Reef Supply GFO and Carbon Reactor...anybody have experience using that?

nanojg
12/10/2009, 01:13 PM
I have it, it works great, doesnt leak, and is easy to set up and maintain.

mdntrdr
12/10/2009, 01:16 PM
I would add reactors,I use Kent Marine.

If you are currently not running GAC you will be amazed how clear your water turns.

danrobberg
12/10/2009, 01:17 PM
i also love mine. it can be difficult to remove the canisters though, thats my only complaint. but they do give you a wrench for it. you cant beat the price. if you dicide to run the brs rox carbon be sure to also order a media bag. the rox carbon is very small and expensive but from what im told its the best.

jb61264
12/10/2009, 01:24 PM
how much flow do you put through your reactors? Like I mentioned in my original post...I T from my return pump to a fuge section of my sump....on that T, I have two gate valved that I installed (just in case)...I run at Mag 18 on my return...and T to my fuge and then T to this reactor...would that be enough flow?

mdntrdr
12/10/2009, 01:26 PM
Apox. 20 gph.

You want to just tumble the top of the GFO.

And just fluidize the GAC.

danrobberg
12/10/2009, 01:48 PM
if you look on the bulkreefsupply website they have a video on how to set it up